1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do new 3DS games force the console to update?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by angusangus, Nov 9, 2013.

1. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

Today I read the following from this site: http://3ds-games-cards.com/gateway-3ds-flashcard-the-first-real-3ds-flashcard-play-backup-3ds-roms-p-163.html

Does Gateway support all games:

No :- Animal Crossing uses unique NAND based save hardware in the cart, support will be added through a GW firmware update. Mario (released last week) is forcing 5.1 update. We have prioritised work on supporting all such future releases. Stay tuned.

I am now quite worried that if I buy my two boys a pukka 3D Mario Kart game each, it will not play unless I update the consoles, which obviously I don't want to do?

Anyone have any knowledge of this please?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

At the moment we only provide public link to PKM X & Y. No 3DS rom flash cartridge player will be able to read the rom for you to play.

Pokémon X & Y and Animal Crossing New Leaf both doesn't use EEPROM chip, they can't be read by the 3DS rom flash carts just yet.
    The Mario Kart game does ask for players to go online to check for updates before allowing them to play.
    I'm not sure about Batman: Arkham Origins, it too can't be played on any 3DS rom flash carts.
    There are some rom that requires such 'check for update online' like the Mario Kart game. Which for 3DS rom flash carts user should avoid for now until the relevant cart producer provides updates to their cart to make it bypass the issue with, that includes not buying the original game cartridge if you want to keep using the 3DS rom flash cart player, not just avoiding the rom.

3. angusangus

Wow, I'm so glad I asked about the Mario game then as we were going to buy two at a cost of about £70 which, by updating the consoles, would have made them useless for working 3DS flashcarts.

So, if there are really no 3DS games/ROMS to download at the moment (even though Gateway etc will run them) what is the point in buying such a flashcart.

And vice versa, what is the point in buying pukka games if the console must be updated for those games to play - but then probably prohibiting yourself from using a Gateway cart for some considerable time?

I thought I was getting a clear mind on this until I read the piece I mentioned above about games requiring updates?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

If the kids' main interest is to play Mario Kart game, then it might be best to buy original games instead. They probably won't be asking for many games anyway, so it shouldn't be much burden on the cost of acquiring originals. As for NDS game rom which you asked earlier, rely on your DSi to play them. That way, the DSi don't just collect dust, while the 3DS becomes their prime toy. Kids tends to neglect their old toys when they have new ones.

Though actually you can't say, 'what's the point of buying 3DS rom player carts?' Only a handful of those rom to avoid from such a vast collection which you/kids can play/choose from. Which translates to money savers on the most case. Thus there is financial benefit to using it.

5. angusangus

thanks prectorian, I'm sure the boys will want to play all their 'old' games on the XLs so I'm sure I will try to avoid updating the consoles or buying genuine games that require the console to update.

Do you or any other members know which 3DS games can be played on old firmware (v4X) such as mine, and don't ask for updates.

It will save me a whole lot of wasted cash and heartache on Christmas morning too.