1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do mentally disadvantaged people get drunk quicker?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grimsim1, Jun 10, 2009.

1. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

So I was curious as to whether or not being mentally disadvantaged means that one can get intoxicated quicker than the regular person. If anyone knows anything on the subject please share.

This thought came to me when some family friends came to visit our home. Their child has some sort of brain disadvantage, although he is pretty much normal for the most part. I offered him a beer and couldn't help but notice that, even upon his own admission, he was feeling rather tipsy. Now either he can take his alcohol about as much as a little five year old girl, or his disability means he get's drunk faster. So if anyone knows anything about this subject, please share so I can set my mind at ease and not spend days wondering about this.

2. c740

c740 Well-Known Member

i think its you gave it to a child, if not i think it happens to all of us.
    Post Merge: [time]1244660554[/time]
    beside whatever affects the body affects the mind.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its nothing to do with cognitive ability, it has to do with body size and build

4. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Getting drunk quicker depends on your weight and your body mass. If there is little tissue to absorb the alcohol, then the quicker you become drunk. It is true for the vice-versa.

5. northofpolaris

northofpolaris Well-Known Member

It's all an issue of body type and your rate of metabolism and also the frequency with which you drink alcohol. I use to be able to out drink my friend pretty much all the damn time. Then, he started having more money than me, and he could drink pretty much every day if he wanted to. He could sit and have three pitchers to himself no problem then drive home. Each pitcher is about 4 1/2 to 5 beers. Ya. Before that, me and him would SHARE two pitchers and be so shitfaced we had to walk home. We both can drink two now pretty easily without feeling like we need a cab.

Not a good thing, mind you, as it gets DAMN expensive if you want to enjoy yourself. Just pace yourself, don't drink so damn much, and try not to balloon up into a giant fat man and your tolerance should stay at a healthy level.

I'm not totally sure a disability would heighten the effects of alcohol on his brain. Alcohol does shut down parts of your brain until all that's left is the tiny lizard brain that controls our basic instinct functions... but unless his brain is physically smaller or his circulatory system fires blood through his body faster than usual I don't think it would effect his brain all that much differently. He may seem more intoxicated, but the levels of intoxication will be the same as if you had drank the same amount.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

With the kid, it was a mental thing.

I bet if you gave him grape juice and told him it was wine he would have felt "tipsy" as well.

7. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I know getting drunk is body thing. I been drinking long enough to know that. I was curious if there was any effect by being mentally disabled. If that somehow affects getting drunk physically as well as mentally. If perhaps it makes one who is mentally disabled "think" that they are drunk, hence making them act that way, or if it does in fact affect them on a physical level too.

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Apparently Asians get drunk easier.

9. c740

c740 Well-Known Member

is it because of the weight and size too?

10. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I thought that was total bullshit for the longest time until I seen someone actually got "drunk" off sparkling grape juice once thinking it was something else.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Same can be done with water. All to do with the mind.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...some metally diabled people react quicker because they just think it's meant to and thius act it...but that is those who are on the higer end of the scale...they just think it...

Other wise they act the same as everyone else-weight-drinks-gender-etc

...I know of this info from experience, not that I drink, but what I've seen...

(as anandjones said, the mind as well)