1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DLing stuff from cyberlockers (MegaUp, Rapidshare, Etc)...Am I safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by personuser, Feb 3, 2011.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

So, i've been a little worried paranoid about my DLing recently.

I try to stay safe, I've never used a P2P or Torrent, EVER, never uploaded a single copyrighted file, just DL anime and ps2/DS games with Jdownloader and PeerBlock off of cyberlockers (mainly MU). I've never gotten any copyright warnings. I DLed some new movies the other day for my dad and mom (from late 2010) off of MU but I deleted em soon as I made them a DVD and erased teh DVD after they finished watching,

Am I pretty safe for now, DLing DS roms from the romu pages, and other games and files?

Also, it seems that media companies HAVE started to talk about cyberlockers. Is there anything they can really do to get downloaders off of them? (I heard they sued hotfile and 1k of its uploaders)

Thanks

PU

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Which anti virus do you have?

3. personuser

norton, dad thinks its teh safest and he won't let me say any different. He also has me buy a new one each year for our 3 pcs (mine, dad's and moms)

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You should be fine. Just watch what you download.

MegaShares tracks you and some other sites, but some sites are safe. I use torrents a lot though. Not for movies, but games and comics.

5. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

Try to be a little bit more specific. Are you afraid of copyright wars or viruses? I'll bet copyright from the context, but your title/topic can be taken differently as well.

As for copyright, tbh I think it's really where you live more than what you download. In America, you're probably more likely to get sued for downloading torrents because litigation is their national hobby. Somewhere else, like say, where I am, people couldn't care less if you pirate stuff. They sell pirated DVDs and games and even hacked PSPs in legal shops. Nobody cares - so where you are also plays a part on whether the authorities give enough shits to actually clamp down on you guys. Sending sue-mail internationally can kind of rack up after a while.

As for the cyberlocker thing, well, so far I've never seen/heard gossip of people getting buggered over when downloading from online sharing sites. Oh, and just so you know, deleting them from the computer doesn't do anything, lol. They're not going to burst in and take your computer. When you download stuff and access anything - torrents or storage sites, your IP address is up for the site/torrent guys to see. That's basically what they use to track you. Not the...File in your computer.

If you're that worried, try a proxy. Just make sure it's at least anonymous or high-anonymous.

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Not sure where the cyberlocker name comes from, but the file sharing sites are direct downloads. That means there's a relationship of uploader -> file share site -> you. There's no potential for 3rd parties to track you. That means the only way you'll ever be caught doing that is if the file share website hands over the details of all downloaders. You can safely consider that very, very unlikely.

7. personuser

Thanks, guys.

They're called cyberlockers by lot of media giants and news groups, actually, at least on internet news.

I'll try a proxy or two and avoid megashares and hotfile (most of the files on MS are fake anyways, wouldn't doubt if it's actually a miivii for filelockers)

Anyways, I figure I've got my fill now, so I won't be using as much bandwidth anyway, maybe now and again i'll download a DS game or an anime ep, but besides that, I'm good. I know they usually only check peeps who have high usage all the time.

Really, though, it seems my ISP never gave a shit about usage - for a while their site said you should only use 5GB a month but they never enforced it - I suppose overcharging for net is enough for them :p