1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Disassembled DS Phat, won't turn on

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by xelados, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

I took my DS Phat apart to clean the area around the buttons. I had done this sort of stuff with my GBA SP and DS Lite, so I figured it'd go without a hitch. When I put everything back together, it would not turn on. Not even a green light. I tried the AC Adapter, and it turned the orange light on for a split second. I tried to power on the unit during this split second of orange light, and the green light came on for about half of the time the orange light was on (maybe .25 seconds); it didn't power up the screens, but make a click with the speaker. When I unplugged the AC adapter, it wouldn't power on at all, just like before.

I did some Googling and saw that it could be the F2 fuse. I found it on the DS's board and it seems fine. It's a dark blue with an upside down 32 on it. Nothing on the board, including the F2 fuse, looked like it had been burned or shorted out or anything. I didn't mess with any of the LCD ribbons, nor the sound wire, so it can't be that, either...

I'm thinking perhaps I might've put the battery in backwards one time, and that it was enough to short circuit the battery, making it worthless. I don't know anything about lithium ion batteries, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

2. CSL00

CSL00 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the DS phat but a friend of mine had this problem with her DS Lite, you did mess with the ribbon cables as you had to remove at least the upper screen one. if you didn't removed it completely you may have left it out of it's place. Take it apart again, remove the ribbon cable, clean it with a clean, dry cloth and put it back making sure it is correctly positioned. I did cleaned inside hers with isopropyl alcohol, you can try that too.

3. xelados

I didn't mess with the ribbon cables at all. All I did was turn the motherboard up toward the top screen so I wouldn't have to take the ribbon cable out.

4. CSL00

CSL00 Well-Known Member

Precisely, the ribbon connectors aren't that tight (otherwise they would damage the ribbon cables), by lifting the motherboard you may have loosened or dislodged the upper screen ribbon cable from the board, detecting this, the DS won't turn on to prevent damage to itself and the screen. Open it up again remove the upper screen cable, clean it with a dry, soft cloth, reattach it. You can clean the whole board with isopropyl alcohol to make sure but doesn't seem necessary in your case. Again it was what was wrong with my friend's DS Lite, same "symptoms" as yours.

5. xelados

Alright, I guess I'll try that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.