1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Different file formats for PSX game burning: .MDF file problems.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RichardDawkins, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm using NERO V6.3.0.0 to burn PSX Roms I've downloaded, for use on a chipped PSX, so far with reasonable success. However, I do not know how to treat .MDF and .MDS files. I've read enough to know that these files are produced by Alcohol 120%, but I'd prefer to use Nero I already have if I can. The game is in the file "Marvel_Super_Heroes_VS_Street_Fighter_[SLUS-00793].rar" and unpacks to reveal an .MDF and .MDS file each of the same name .

Following FAQ's on the net, I've used IsoBuster to unpack the MDF Image, but it's far from intuitive and instead of giving me a .bin or .img file I'm familiar with, it breaks the .MDF file into a [-] folder containing the following files:-
    Folders "DAT" & "XA"
    CAPCOM30.STR (1970KB)
    CAPMOV.BIN (150KB)
    DMY.DAT (36176KB)
    A shortcut to SYSTEM, which points to the [-] directory
    X.EXE (1866 KB)

Can anyone explain how I can get this game burnt onto CD with the software I already have on my PC or do I really need to buy Alcohol 120%?

Thanks! :)

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Nero isn't so good for games.

Use "img burn" as it not only uses less resorces than nero...but reads these fine. (it's also free)

But if you still want, have you tried treating them like an standard iso file?

Nero can burn gcm files apparently (gamecube specific images) so it's worth a try.

3. Using ImgBurn worked a treat. Thanks for the help! ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.