1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Differences between R4 & R4SDHC & memory cards

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by LT123, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT123

LT123 Member

Can someone please clarify for me the differences between R4 & R4SDHC?
    I am a very happy R4 user, a novice, I found my way through trial and error & this wonderful site & helpful members - I am now looking to get something like R4 for a friend and seen the SDHC so what are the differences please?
    Also I am correct in thinking the R4 works best with up to 2gb memory card & anything larger will slow it down/stop it working? My kids have R4 and 2 memory cards to swap around, is this best?

2. angamon

angamon Member

R4SDHC is compatible with micro sdhc cards witch can be up to 32 gigs the R4 only works with 2 gig micro sd cards

3. LT123

LT123 Member

And is the software different for the SDHC?

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...From experience, my GUESS is that it's the hardware is different, not the software, since it can be updated, like the acekard 2.1 compared to the i version, one for the normal ds, the other for dsi...

But I can be wrong, prehaps it needs a different fireware to run (an older version/hacked/newer)...

Anyone know for sure I'm going from acekard experience...

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, different hardware, but also needs different firmware (because the hardware is different).

6. LT123

LT123 Member

Which is best in your opinion? Is it easy to find the 'drivers' to make the SDHC work?

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

R4SDHC is the only one of the two still available.

8. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

SDHC is better, if for no other reason than that the firmware is still being updated. The original R4 cart has not been updated in almost a year, and most likely will never be updated again since the R4 team has disbanded. The original R4 is also not being made anymore, so what you can buy now are all clones. This isn't necessarily bad, as mine is a clone and I've never had any issues with it (aside from compatibility problems due to the aforementioned 'no more updates' issue), but there is some risk involved in buying a clone.

I'd recommend that you get a CycloDS or Acekard if you're in the market for something new, though. The Cyclo is a better product, but more expensive. The Acecard is good, though, and comparable in price to an R4.

9. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

I have an R4 SDHC and it works great. I only have a 2 gig micro SD in it at the now but I plan on getting a larger capacity card for it someday.

Yes, like Loonylion said, it does take different firmware. v1.25 is what I use in mine and my wife's.

In my opinion it the R4 SDHC works just as good as the R4 but I have only tried it with a 2gig Micro SD card so far.

10. angamon

angamon Member

i have a 8 gig and it runs pretty good.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

pug: Supposedly some of the original team are on the Hyper R4i team.

12. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

Just Googled it, looks pretty awesome! I don't have a DSI yet though.

13. pugmalion1

Really? I just checked out their website, and they say that it's available through Divineo in North America. Can't seem to find it, and I've never had any luck on that site, anyway. It's a poor layout. I'll keep my eyes open for it to hit my usual resellers and for some reviews.

Thanks for the heads up!

14. pugmalion1

From Ishopvideogame's blog:

Seems like yet another cheap knock-off. Shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.