1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Differences between NDS ROM & Original Copy?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by HitomiLove, Mar 7, 2011.

1. HitomiLove

HitomiLove Member

Hello,
    I would like to know about the differences between a NDS ROM VS Original NDS game.
    Pokemon White for example, would I be able to take advantage of the Wifi battle and events with a NDS ROM?
    I know I would have no problem with the original copy.

Thankyou.

2. BigGangstaKillaC93

BigGangstaKillaC93 Well-Known Member

Yeah, anything regarding wifi works fine, the same as an original copy of the game. I used mystery gift to get the Liberty pass for Pokemon White last night.

3. HitomiLove

HitomiLove Member

Thanks for replying, so you could battle/trade on Wifi just fine?

4. BigGangstaKillaC93

Anything having to do with wifi works perfect.

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I remember the Pokemon games wouldn't sync up to Pokemon Battle Revolution quite right if you used a shitty flashcart.

I bet they'll come out with an updated PBR type game so you can sync up B/W to it and that will probably be the only thing that won't work.

That, and the IR function since flashcarts don't have that, but who actually uses that when you have Wi-Fi?

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i dont think you can "check feeling" on wifi... not that i know what "check feeling" is for, my game havnt arrive.

as for any difference between game cart and rom, there arent much, both rom and game cart can trade with each other, but there are some gimmick that use IR that rom cant use, you know like the "check feeling" i mention, and Poke Walker.

luckily (or rather unfortunate for nintendo) nintendo WFC cant tell the differ between rom and game cart, so as long as you have wifi, you can access to event that are given through wifi.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

There is zero difference between a properly dumped clean rom and the original cartridge.

8. HitomiLove

HitomiLove Member

So if I am using the rom for pokemon white/black, there would be no way to tell if I am playing the game on a rom / original game?

Like the ID for the pokemon/ or ID of the trainer (I believe theres a specific code for every trainer on the trainer card)
    Thankyou.

9. BigGangstaKillaC93

Like Loony said, everything is EXACTLY the same. Wireless connection cannot differentiate a rom being played from the flash card from the official cartridge.

You still get a friend code on Pokemon and everything because there is absolutely ZERO difference.

I hope I've convinced you by now.

10. HitomiLove

HitomiLove Member

I am good as long as I am not missing anything in the game with a ROM.

11. BigGangstaKillaC93

Your missing NOTHING at all ;D, I can promise you that ;)

12. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

There are a few differences. You can't use Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver's Pokewalker function without the original cart, and I think Black and White's IR won't work too. But other than that and a few very minor framerate issues, nothing different at all.

13. BigGangstaKillaC93

Pokemon HG/SS have chips build in to the cartridges that are needed to communicate with the pokewalker, so you can't use the pokewalker with a flashcard. Not a big deal though. I'm not sure about the IR, I'll need to investigate that myself, probably has something to do with the cartridge as well. Not a big deal at all though, New DS pokemon games=new functions. If your really want to use the pokewalker or get full use of the IR, you'll have to buy the games.

14. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Yeah, each Pokemon Black/White cart has built-in IR functions.

15. insanecrazy07

I love how we just went from "you're missing nothing" to "missing a few things" to "oh yeah, you can't use the IR functions on a flashcart."

And back to my original post...

16. SW4J

SW4J Active Member

Um...actually we went from "There's nothing missing in the ROM" to "There's nothing missing in the ROM but there's no IR port so you can't use that functionality". That's all, and it's not like it doesn't make sense. There's no laundry list of functions not working, as it's already been said: a proper ROM dump contains 100% what the official cart does, it's just that flashcarts don't have IR ports (yet).

17. BigGangstaKillaC93

Things like that don't matter to me, I'd rather have payed 5 bucks for my TTDS flashcard any day than buy NDS games for 30-35 dollars, just because I'm missing out on a few small features for a few Pokemon games. Only a few newer Pokemon games are missing out on those small (Pokewalker, B/W IR) functions when you buy a flashcard, and like I said before, if you really care so much about these functions, spruce out some money and buy the games.

Oh and also, I've noticed that some roms have tiny lagging moments when your around alot of moving objects that are close together. (like when you ride your bike through big towns with multiple moving people). Nothing big though. Noticed this happens on my Pokemon Emerald version cartridge, so the flashcard may not be to blame.

I admit I was wrong on some points, I should have done some more research. It's impossible for flashcards to emulate IR functions at the moment. Flashcards have all the built in chips and modules (except the pokewalker or IR chip) that an official NDS cartridge has, that assesses the data from the main chip that contains the game data, micro sd cards act as a substitute for these chips.

18. insanecrazy07

I don't give a crap about not having IR or Pokewalkers. You totally missed my point. The fact that you guys just fleshed out and reiterated in a series of posts of what I had already said that was one sentence long is what is so goddamn funny.

19. BigGangstaKillaC93

All right look, I already admitted that I was wrong. Pokemon B/W are new games so I wasn't exactly acquainted with IR, and correct me If I'm wrong but the pokewalker has nothing to do with wifi. I couldn't care less about that shit myself, but the person asked about the differences between a rom and original NDS cartridge game, so I repented for what I said before about zero differences between the two and explained what the differences were. This is what the person asked for, so I gave it to them. You can't expect somebody to explain everything little detail about how wifi relates to every game. If your so smart and can think you can explain things better than I or anybody else did, than please do so instead of posting useless comments. Yes, I was wrong on my first account, I admit that. But that doesn't mean you have to go and discriminate against me, I already explained what I said that was wrong and told why. I'm not trying to start a big argument, I'm trying to help somebody out...there's nothing funny about that.

20. HitomiLove

HitomiLove Member

Thanks BigBangKilla for the reply.
    Thankyou everyone that posted in this thread.
    :)