1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Did I make mistake getting this R4I?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by zenthor, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenthor

zenthor Member

I am very new to all of this so would like some advice. I think I may have picked the wrong R4 card. I am going through randomly testing games (test=ok if it loads, and makes it to first save point). So far 3 of 10 fail.
    Here is what I have:
    DSI 1.4U
    Scandisk 4GB Micro SD
    R4I Revolution SDHC & RTS with 2.6a firmware (latest that is on the suggested d/l site by seller)
    The R4 was bought from DealExtream on the day before they pulled all R4 (and similar) items (in fear of a paypal reprisal) from their inventory.
    It came in a small white box, has a raised 1.4 yellow sticker on it. Card is black with silver writing.
    Game roms that fail (so far):

Zelda Spirit Tracks (stuck on load, nintendo screen)
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (stuck on load, blank white screen)
    Glory of Hercales (stuck on load, black screen)

Here is (some of) what I have tried...
    -Searched over 20 R4 sites and tried all their latest firmware. Around 5 worked, but games still fail.
    -formatted SD card
    -tried many different rom versions (using torrents)
    -tried patch (ie, for Zelda Spirit)
    -created dummy save files

So, would I be better of getting an Acekard 2I or (???)...the information here and elsewhere is staggeringly contradictory. I think this is because there are a ton of r4's...all of them different...all with their unique quarks.
    This is why one post may say 'it works great! and another says 'it fails no matter what I try'.
    I just dont want to keep buying cards and have the same problems.

Thanks for any advice!

(Add 2 more to fail list: Bookworm (wont load) and Age of Empires, age of kings (video stutter is so bad its unplayable).
    Also...all above failed games except bookworm work perfectly on my emulator Desmume)

2. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

Hmm, well, I, myself had had LOTS of trouble with R4i's and when I got my AceKard every game worked flawlessly, and only one required patching, all the others I didn't have to do a thing!

So, I recommend you get an AK2i, or just stick with an emulator.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yeah... You can still use the R4i but the compatibility issues are astounding with R4's.

You can go ahead and keep on patching new games, or buy the AK2i...

If you're short on cash, then just stick with the R4.

4. slingshot182

Ak2i's are only like 12-15 bucks though, not only are they cheap BUT they are also better then R4's :p

5. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

You should definitely switch to AK2i. I don't know what the R4i looks like now, but the only positive thing about the R4 in general I could say, is that the interface is simple to use.

6. slingshot182

Ak2i, has better interface I think, much more option and config settings.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

But for some people (like me) $15 is a lot of money...i can live for a week on that much money...

The R4i is fine, but you just need to patch games with arm7/arm9 or a crack for it in order to fix the AP crap.

That simple.

I just went to the Ak2i because i had some extra cash and was tired of patching roms.

8. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

the AK2i does have an overall better interface, I just found it harder to take in at first o_O

9. demonfang77

demonfang77 New Member

I've heard the Ak2i is good but i have a m3i zero with sakura on it. I also heard that the iplayer can play gba games one it but not nds?

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

ugh.......Please do not discuss the iPlayer...........It can play GBA, but not NDS games....it's not worth the $60 price tag if you're wanting a flashcart that can play nds games as well.

But yes, the AK2i is very good if you use AKAIO with it...which has stopped development for now.

11. slingshot182

The iPlayer can, yes, play GBA games. That might be the only other flashcart I would recommend and that is the only reason why. But, sadly ace is right, it can only play GBA games, if you want to do that then you should just by a GBA flashcart and use you AK2i as a PassMe.

But, another choice is the Ez-Flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.