1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Desperate help with homebrew games (please help)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by duzke, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

I have a few issues that i really do need help with since i'm such a newb with all this DLDI patching and things like that. So any help on any of these issues would be fantastic.
    1. I'm trying to get Doom on my ds and i am getting .wad files for it but i have the shareware version. Is that just the .wad you get when you download it or do i need to have the bought version to play the real levels that i'm downloading?
    2. Is there any way i can get Quake DS without having to buy it but have the real levels?
    3. I know this is weird since i basically have no idea what i'm doing basically, but can someone help me with making homebrew games. If you can give me a guide and all the tools i need to make it, that would be great.
    4. I've had snemulds on my cyclods, have ran the file on my ds but don't know how to run any nes games.

(Currently running Cyclods firmware 1.55b5 so i'm pretty sure i don't need to DLDI patch anything or whatever)

ANY help is appreciated. I'm getting really desperate since i've searched for hours on the internet for help with this stuff but they really don't help that much to a newb like me.

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

1. Not quite sure what you're asking here. You can use either the shareware .wad files or the full .wad files.
    2. You could pirate the full game if you wanted to, but don't ask about that here ;)
    3. You'll need devkitPro and some functional knowledge of C/++. PAlib may also help simplify things. Googling "devkitPro", "PAlib" and "DS homebrew guide" should yield some relevant results.
    4. SNEmulDS is a SNES emulator.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

A bit of info https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9818.0

4. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Yer i know i'm a bit confusing but i don't really know what i'm asking myself. But on youtube this guy said to get the shareware version of the game. Do i need to buy a full version of Doom to get the full version .wad files. Also, i'm getting these counter-strike.wad and stuff. Will they run on it.
    Post Merge: [time]1251534857[/time]
    Thanks Anandjones. Just wandering though what a C++ thingy is.

5. tehuber1337

Like I said, you can either buy or pirate the full version, but don't ask about doing the latter here. The shareware version is freely downloadable. Only Doom .wad files will work with DSDoom, just as only Quake .pak files will work with QuakeDS.

C++ is a programming language.

6. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Thanks, so far you've been a great help. Just one more thing that i will need: so i've got these .wad files for doom such as plutonium.wad and they are in the folder "dsdoom" in the root of my card. They have been added to the wadsel.ini file and i can load the game up until it asks me what .wad file to open. I've tried every file (just 4 until i fix it) but all i get is a black screen. What's going on? Did i do something wrong.

7. tehuber1337

8. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Where have you got this from? Can you give me a link please?

9. tehuber1337

The first quote is from the DSDoom readme, and the second is from the DSDoom website.

10. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Never mind! I finally did it. All i needed to do was make a folder called data in the root of my card and have the game separate in the root of the card. Thanks tehuber1337 and anandjones for your help! :)
    Post Merge: [time]1251544043[/time]
    Oh wait, spoke too soon. :( Some of the .wad files work but some don't such as chex and 007 goldeneye. Is this because 007 goldeneye has a space between it because so far only chex is the .wad file with only one word in it that doesn't work.
    Post Merge: [time]1251552880[/time]
    Where can i find a copy of xtends? I've been looking everywhere.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You should just stick to programming with the libraries.

12. tehuber1337

Presumably, only the wad files listed in the first quote in my earlier post will work.
    XtenDS has been superseded by DSGameMaker, I believe.

13. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

So DSGamemaker is what i have to be using?

14. tehuber1337

You don't "have to", but you can. As Anandjones said, though, you're better off making homebrew by actually writing code.

15. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Okay, so i have palib, devkitpro, but what else do i need and is there a guide that can help me or anyone who has actually made a homebrew game help me?

16. tehuber1337

Anandjones has already posted a link to a guide he wrote. You can find further resources there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.