1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Demonoid shutdown?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h8uthemost, Sep 26, 2007.

1. h8uthemost

h8uthemost Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=demonoid+cria&btnG=Search
    http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-shut-down-by-cria-070925

I haven't been able to get on the site for the past two days. I really hope they're not down for good. They were about the largest site semi-private site there was. TorrentLeech, TorrentDamage, Midnight Torrents, etc, is nowhere near what Demoniod is.

And this really sucks, Demonoid is where I would get all my FLAC and V0 download to upload at Oink, lol.

I really hope they get back up. Those admins ran a great site. I don't know why so many people talk shit about them.

2. 60fps

60fps Member

Yeah, torrent sites are really being backed into a corner now. Time to find a new way to get free illegal media before it's all shut down.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

They said shortly before they disappeared that they were struggling to cope with the number of new signups, so maybe they're upgrading or something.

60fps: Torrents are NOT illegal. The content you download using torrents may well be, but the mechanism is not. To prove this, Blizzard now distributes WoW patches and updates via bittorrent.

4. h8uthemost

Well, that article says that Demonoid moved from the Netherlands to Canada hoping they'd be safe, since they were getting heat in the Netherlands. So I guess the CRIA shut them down.

Lets hope Demonoid moves somewhere else.

5. 60fps

60fps Member

I never said torrents are illegal. I've used torrents for many MMO related material and updates. It's just another way to download files like any other download manager.

The issue is content provided by torrent sites and many torrent applications like Bitcomet and uTorrent are starting to work with authorities to track user isp.

Many sites including isohunt and others have been forced to either shut down or drop U.S. trackers.

6. CanadaJames

CanadaJames Member

Ha if they're moving to my country maybe I can finally get a membership been trying to get a referall for ages.

7. h8uthemost

If they get up and running again I'll give you an invite CanadaJames. It's not like Demonoid invites are as rare as Oink or Bitmetv invites.

Something seems to be wrong with BlackCats too. Hope they're not being messed with too.

8. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

I could really care less about Demonoid.

9. h8uthemost

Well thanks for posting then. ::)

10. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Anytime. ;)

11. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Demonoid is good, and I have an account, but I find I get much quicker downloads using btjunkie. I use ScrapeTorrent to search all the major sites and try and get a download from either there or demonoid if possible. Wouldn't really bother me too much if it was gone though there wasn't much there I couldn't find elsewhere. Although I do have a 1.5 ratio :)

12. h8uthemost

Well, all my downloads are now seeding again at Demonoid, but I still can't get on the site.

Anyone know about this? All my downloads are green again.

And they're saying over at Oink that Demonoid has not been shut down. Someone got a hold of the site owner on IRC. Some harddrive blew or something. They'll be back up.

13. ultra

ultra Guest

it sounds like you're trying to finally get into heaven, lol.

14. Rockstar99

Rockstar99 Well-Known Member

[quote author=thinkdjlink=topic=2318.msg16373#msg16373 date=1191045566]It is possible that Demonoid’s Canadian ISP pulled the plug after being pressured by the CRIA.The ISP said before that they would take it down if they would receive complaints."
    "Demonoid tracks over a million .torrent files and is the second largest BitTorrent tracker after The Pirate Bay." [/quote]

How the hell would they not get complaints!?

15. Loonylion

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/13462

16. h8uthemost

My torrents are still seeding from there. So the tracker must be back up and running.

17. Loonylion

tracker was back online as of yesterday, site is still down

18. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

ermm. torrentz, or thepiratebay work fine for me.

19. h8uthemost

Where it up at Winterreise?

I'm getting this message when I try to get on their site:

The latest changes to the site are giving us some problems - We'll be back soon

Guess they're just having a little bit of trouble right now. Glad to see they'll be up. And good to see you got around the proxy. I would ask around in their forums what you should do if their proxy does pop up in the future. I'm sure someone will know a way around it. I'm sure you're not the only Canadian Noider' on the site.

20. Rockstar99

Rockstar99 Well-Known Member

Yeah i get the same message; The latest changes to the site are giving us some problems - We'll be back soon
    When will soon be??