1. This forum is in read-only mode.

delay when game is loading

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by keithquinn, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithquinn

keithquinn Member

Hi there, i'm fairly new to this and have got the hang of loading my R4 card with roms and playing them but I have a wee problem...

Around a third of the games take ages (about 2-3mins) to load every time I select them, when they do eventually load they work perfectly but my kid tends not to play those games because they have to wait for a long time

I've got an R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution card with a 4Gb SDHC micro sd, I've tried a few different menus but can't seem to fix it and no-one I know has this problem. I bought another card which is slightly different with another menu but it still does the same - can anyone help?

2. happycanman

happycanman Guest

Hi; you seem to be kitted out well. Im suprised nobody has replied :\ Oh well heres the help.

From what I understand you have a loading issue? Its a rare issue to "take long to load" so I suggest updating the firmware by visiting the manufacturers website. I too have an R4; the earlier model, and I just use the last one they published.

Not sure what else to tell you. you could try trimming the rom (google search DS Rom TrimmeR) that might help.

3. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

What games would those be?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

What brand is your MicroSD? Slow MicroSDs can cause slow loading times.
    Try backing up all your files and formatting your MicroSD to start fresh.

5. keithquinn

keithquinn Member

Hi, thanks for the replies

Its a kingston micro sdhc, a decent brand as far as i know and I've formatted it a few times now...and it happens with about 30 of the games i've tried so far, Raving rabbids 2, Big Brain Academy and Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games are three games which spring to mind

I'll try getting the most up to date firmware and get back to you

Thanks
    Keith
    Post Merge: [time]1262215818[/time]
    Hi again, I've tried the new firmware but still have the same problem

Please help if you can - even if its to say that you have seen the problem yourself

Thanks

Keith

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Have you tried a different MicroSD. You said that the MicroSD is slow on both the cards you have, which are two different cards.

7. keithquinn

keithquinn Member

Hi, yes, i got a new microsd with the other R4 card, still did the same thing

Keith
    Post Merge: [time]1262287070[/time]
    TirithRR - you are a star!!!

All the cards I've been trying up until now have been 4gig SDHC cards because I assumed they were better than normal micro sd's

I tried a 1gig normal card and all the games load quickly and even the save file is created in 1 second whereas I was waiting for 30 seconds before

I'm now gonna have to find a normal(not SDHC) 2gb or 4gb micro sd to find out if that works - what do you think?

Keith

8. gunburn

gunburn Active Member

I have the same problem with my card but it is 2gig. The reason for it is when you reformat the card it tends to be much slower. Not all but it does happen, mine load the games super slow maybe 30 seconds until the game shows up. I am thinking if the process of reading a 4gig than a lower gig might make it slower. Some told me that its not that way.

9. ksds

ksds New Member

Hmm, im using a 2gb aswel, i reformatted it from fat to fat32, could this be why im a having a delay?

10. keithquinn

keithquinn Member

is it 2gig SDHC cards you have or normal ones?

11. debra tooth

debra tooth Active Member

there are new firmware for these game chips that fix this problem I had the same problem tt12a fixed them these menu's are for TT AND R4

12. gunburn

gunburn Active Member

I am not 100% sure about this but that's the only thing that I have done before the problem starts.

13. ksds

ksds New Member

I think its an sdhc one

14. KapowLiam

KapowLiam New Member

Funny. I just posted the exact same thing eh?
    Ain't it annoying. 2GB works fine ; \

Also have you tryed using other firmware just a question because when i try to use Proper firmware Like 1.18 or 2.16
    I have this picture coming up saying menu?
    Then only firmware that workes is the R4i one that is instructed by the website

15. teheezin

teheezin Guest

I used to have this problem too ! And I changed my 4 gig micro sd card to a 2 gig micro sd card and now everything loads within 10 seconds xD some even boots up within 5 seconds

16. keithquinn

keithquinn Member

Yes, I've tried a few firmwares and only 1 or 2 of them work but still give me this problem, looks like I'll have to get a 2gb card.....:(

17. Lomaha

Lomaha Well-Known Member

I had the same problem - but I changed to another brand microcard - to Sandisk and now I have no problems anymore - strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.