1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Defrag SD card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by insanecrazy07, Jul 6, 2008.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

(not sure where this goes on the forum...)

I just found out that formatting isn't the only way to defragment your SD memory card.

you can use your regular old disk defragmenter to do the same thing.
    (although I use Diskeeper since it does it automatically, with different defrag modes)

I remember doing this with my flash drives and it did pretty well.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

don't let diskeeper automatically defrag flash drives, it will shorten their life.

3. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

yell at me if you must, but instead of making a new topic. redundant in my opinion.

i have defragged my sd cards, does it do any signifigant damage immediatly?

I am not sure but defragging the files while on a pc's hard drive then slipping them over to a clean sd card, keeps them somewhat in order? ??? i want the best performance i can get, i keep having issues with wifi games freezing every now and then.

cyclods is supposed to be 100% compatable and wifi compatable. mariokart ds and animal crossing are my troubles.

this is a 2gb kingston japanese produced model of the microsd. would my 4gb sdhc class 4 be better for this, same manufacturer and location.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

No. The source of the file is not what causes the fragmentation. It's the destination.

Your Hard Drive could be horribly fragmented, but if the SD card is freshly formated, when you move the file over to the SD card, it will not be fragmented because it will copy it over to the same section.

Now if you have an SD card that has had numerous small files added and deleted, then when you move a file over, even if it is from a freshly defragmented HDD, it will fill up the "holes" in your SD card, leaving the file in "fragments" on your SD card.

5. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

AhHa. sounds good. thank you.

now, does the fragmentation really affect the card's performance in regards to using them on the DS.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes. Takes longer to load, corrupted files etc.

7. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

:-\thanks, i'll keep my stuff in line and wont defrag sd's anymore.

8. anandjones

What? You asked about fragmentation? Which is what I answered.

9. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

my response was because of the damage to the cards, sorry for the confusion.

but while on topic, is formatting the cards is less damaging?

and i do defrag my HDD's in a cycle mode for a few hours every now and then. it thoroughly organizes them.
    this is a good thing.

my comment meant keeping the data clean and not shuffling data around on the cards and making them fragmented.

10. anandjones

Ah. But just do it rarely. Or not at all. Didn't get what you meant.

11. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

less sleep more slurr. more sleep more sense. ;)

12. Loonylion

its not so much the action that shortens the life, its how often its done. But yes, formatting is less damaging. Flash memory generally has a lifespan of 10,000 read/write cycles; each time you format it you use one. Defragmenting, on the other hand, would use a cycle for every segment of every file it moves. Couple that with Diskeeper, which defragments more or less all the time, and your flash memory will use up its life pretty quick. This is the same reason that Windows vista's readyboost is an incredibly stupid idea.

13. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i found the diskkeeper pro version a while back. made the default diskdefrag that comes with XP a joke.

Ifaast and the comprehensive defrag, boot time and mtf table/pagefile organizing and so on...

in free time, about 1 time a month after moving many ISO's i will run it in a cycle on my storage drive for about 2 hours, and a few times "about 1 hour" on my main drive.

the speed difference is nice.

thats about all the info i needed though, thanks. formatting it is.

Now, how about SSD"SolidStateDrives" same as with Sd cards?

i ask because i see promise in the future when their capacity is increased and price is dropped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&tag=ie8search-20&index=blended&linkCode=qs&camp=1789&creative=9325&keywords=SSD
    capacity HAS increased, but price and performance still bother me.

14. Loonylion

proper solid state drives aren't flash memory, so should have a much longer lifetime

15. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

:eek: behold the future. thanks a lot.

16. cheryldylan67

cheryldylan67 Active Member

Sorry to sound dim how do you defrag a card?

17. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

With it connected to your computer, right click on it. Choose Properties, then click on the Tools tab. It is called "Defragment"

But it's really not necessary.

18. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

use a defrag program to analyze, i prefer diskkeeper pro because i got it free. its an advanced version of the winxp defrag.

if the card is decently or heavily fragmented then copy all data off to your HDD and format the card, then copy all data back onto card.

this was the correct "easier on card" procedure right?

also, i tend to leave about 100mb free on my cards, not sure if it increases performance or not.
    the cyclo cheat file at this point also needs to be edited and extra files removed, i am under theory that it ill increase the load speed of the cyclo. did not confirm with anyone who knows better.