1. This forum is in read-only mode.

CycloDS Flashcard Tips?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by hexkun, Mar 19, 2010.

1. hexkun

hexkun Member

I'm going tonight to pick up a CycloDS flashcard to replace the R4 I've had for the past couple years and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about it.

Also, where can I find the latest firmware (1.58b1)? I'm used to the R4 and never having to update anything because they don't update it anymore. =P

2. Akamatsu

Akamatsu Active Member

Being a CycloDS user myself.. it's a pretty user-friendly card, touch-sensitive menu, easily navigated main menu GUI, excellent ROM support, etc. Also has Real-time Save, built in AR codes, and a whole bunch more.

The team that maintains it is active, compared to most others, and usually fixes new games within the week of release, if not sooner.

http://www.cyclopsds.com/downloads/evo-manual-1.56.pdf [User Manual]

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 [Beta Firmware Forum]
    (Latest firmware is 1.58 B2).

Can also pick up the most recent AR codes from GBATemp's "Temp" database.

Hooray for shameless plugs!

Hope that helped some.

3. hexkun

hexkun Member

I've been seeing around a lot of talk about real-time save, would be that some sort of automatic save feature?

Good to hear about all the other stuff though, puts my mind at ease about making a good choice with it!

4. Akamatsu

Akamatsu Active Member

It's pretty much an 'anywhere' save feature. Even when the game doesn't normally let you save, you can create a 'save-state' that remembers exactly where you are in the game (in the middle of a cut scene, right before a boss battle, etc). You go to the Cyclo 'Enhanced Menu' by pushing a configurable set of buttons in-game, and the "Save/Load" options are in there. (See the manual for more info).

And, yeah, been satisfied with my Cyclo for a while now.

5. hexkun

hexkun Member

Sorry for asking so many questions, I think these are probably the last of them.

From reading the manual, it sounds like the flashcard automatically adds the most recent firmware on the microSD. Does that mean the only files I need on my DS are the .nds, .sav, and .evo file as opposed to something like the R4 where I needed .dat, .sys, and scads of other files?

I'm a Mac user so I'm hoping there's no special program for updating or else it could be problematic.

6. Akamatsu

Akamatsu Active Member

To update, you just download the latest from their site (forum), extract it, and place the 'update.evo' file in the root folder of your SD card. And just place it in you DS and as soon as the Cyclo starts up, it'll run the updater and.. that's pretty much it. There's a config.xml you can edit to change a couple settings, but other than that, that's all you need to update.

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

So far, I find the Cyclo the BEST as far as support.
    The Cyclo runs Pokemon HGSS without a problem with 1.58b2.

They're pretty much on the ball as far as updating firmware. I've had it for awhile now since 1.3 something and usually the firmware update fixes the AP problems everyone has been having.

Just put the update file in the root of the SD card and let it run when you boot up. Easy as that.

8. hexkun

hexkun Member

Easy as putting in my .nds files and my .evo file? So simple!

Thanks for all the help on this. You guys have got me really fired up!

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

And you don't even need the .EVO file, its only for updating. The CycloDS deletes it when finished. The only parts of the firmware stored on the MicroSD are user cheats, non-default configuration settings, and skins.

10. insanecrazy07

Oh, and you can downgrade firmware for whatever reason. 1.57 screwed my card so I couldn't play Pokemon so I downgraded to 1.56 something and it was fine.

But 1.58b2 is epic...

11. hexkun

hexkun Member

I'm going to test it out when I pick it up, if I have my DSLite, a microSD (with update.evo, Pokemon HeartGold.nds, and Pokemon HeartGold.sav) then it should run okay?

12. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Should.
    Depending on the source of your save file you might have to convert it. (usually shouldn't have to though).

13. rell

rell Well-Known Member

is that to prevent possible bricks for trying to update gain from the same fw??

14. insanecrazy07

I think it's so you don't have to delete it yourself...

15. hexkun

hexkun Member

Well I picked up my CycloDS and it works like a charm. Of course, I had to pop in Pokemon HG and give her a run and so far, so good.

The interface is simple, updating the firmware was a breeze. All in all, I have to say that I'm an extremely satisfied customer!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice =)