1. This forum is in read-only mode.

cricket turns sour

Discussion in 'General News' started by geffo, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geffo

geffo Active Member

Several Sri Lankan cricket players were shot and wounded on Tuesday when their bus came under fire in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore , their manager Brenden Kurrupu told AFP.

It has been reported that spinner Kumar Sangakkara, Thilan Samaraweera, Ajantha Mendis and Tharanga Paranavithana were among the wounded.

Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene also reportedly phoned his father and told him he was shot in the foot.

"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Mahela Jayawardene told website Cricinfo. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace [a member of the support staff], but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."

The incident happened on the road from the teams' hotel to the Gadaffi stadium, where a Test match is being held.

"It appears that our team bus was targeted on the way to the match. It appears that four of our cricketers have been injured and taken to the hospital," a Sri Lankan cricket official told an Indian TV channel from Colombo.

The gunfire is reported to have continued for 25 minutes. Two bombs were also thrown at the convoy.

At least 12 gunmen have been reported to be involved in the attack.

Former Sri Lankan coach and Aussie Test cricketer Tom Moody has expressed his concern.

"I was very shocked and saddened to learn of the news coming from Lahore of the attack on the Sri Lankan team bus earlier today. My thoughts and prayers are not only with my friends in the Sri Lankan cricket team, but with the families of everyone that has been killed or injured in today's attack."

a very sad day for the cricket of pakistain

2. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Im amazed no-one was killed, a very cowardly attack on people nothing to do with middle eastern politics or conflict.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

6 policemen were killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.