1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Crazy idea about ROM or How to transform a NTSC ROM into a PAL ROM.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by SukhoiLover, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Active Member

So guys, this is waths going on.

I still have my Saturn and beeing able to play games on it would be great. There is a simple solution to this, download a ROM and burn it to an actual CD. Problem solved.........NOT.

This website has 1 BIG FLAW: THERE ARE NO SEGA SATURN ROMS in PAL FORMAT.

Solution:
    A) This website starts expanding its ROM collection from just NTSC ROMS to ROMS of PAL and other regions. ( This solution is probably a no go since Seph is apparently not interested to do so.
    B) Find a way to transform an NTSC ROM into a PAL ROM. I was thinking about messing around with the BIN. file.

So my question is: Is solution B) possible, and if yes how do i do it?

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

In order to play burned games on your Sega Saturn, I'm sure it has to be modified or chipped in some way. The only system I know of that played backups without modding was the Dreamcast (and even then, only certain types of backups).

Most modchips allow bypassing of region restrictions, letting you play NTSC games on a PAL system (and vice versa).

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

B is not possible, PAL and NTSC are fundamentally different and incompatible. As TirithRR said, a modchip will usually bypass region locks, but games from the 'wrong' region will have no colour.

4. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Actually, most PAL TVs support NTSC now.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Yeah if you can afford those :(

With ps2 games there is patches that allow you to freely change the format from pal to nstc.

But no such thing for anything else...especially with this one I guess...

Try torrents or prehaps...rom request what your after in pal format?

6. Fredbox

I mean most normal TVs, as long as they're less than 10 years old.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

The console still needs to be able to output the opposing format. A PAL console cannot output NTSC. Its within the console that the colour is lost, not at the TV

8. Fredbox

True, sorry if I confused the matter. I forgot that the fact the GameCube and Wii can output either was an oddity (recently started messing with downloading GC games, and they run fine, same with Wii).
    So yeah, you probably will lose colour with the Saturn.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Correct.

Also...if your a cheap skate like me a tv like that is out of the question :(

My first and so far best tv was one of the first ever colour tv's...couldn't do 60hrz nor nstc...

But the gamecube was doing far better on that than my currently smaller lcd screen...for one the colour after 5mins adjustment had better results than 30mins on this damn thing :(

Factory seconds...not always the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.