1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Copyright Laws affecting the downloads of some ROMs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by totallydood, Nov 20, 2009.

1. totallydood

totallydood Guest

Apparently some companies have sent ROMulation cease and desist letters saying to STOP hosting their games on the site. You will see this message on some ROM's download pages

This File Is Protected By Copyright Laws

We regret to inform you that due to copyright laws we cannot offer you this game for download.

This is because the owner of the rights sent us a cease and desist letter, keeping this up would have caused problems. Please do NOT complain about this in the comments, or send us angry messages on the forum, we're not going to jail for you. We're sorry but this game just can't be downloaded from here.

This file is unavailable.

OH NO!!! What do you think about this?

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Nothing will happen..?
    Seems like most company prefer to fight with anti-piracy instead.

3. SmR_696

SmR_696 Guest

Thats for every site I Why should it effect RomU

4. totallydood

totallydood Guest

https://www.romulation.org/NDS/4450_-_Planet_51_(U)(Xenophobia).rar.html/ it looks like this game is affected. well, hopefully all the good games dont get affected. and btw, we can go to * or just Google. but this sucks for ppl who use romUlation every day

5. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Very few games are affected actually.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Some rely too much on built in anti piracy protection, other's with money just send those notes...

All in all, you can't stop them all.

7. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

If your talking about the Microsoft games like The Sims ect. MS requested RomU not to host those and thats been like that for a long time, or at least before I came here.

But like mds (aka hYpNoS) stated they cannot stop them all and I have never seen any release that can't be found, but I have come to learn that, yes there are some RomU will not host and I can find them at another source but so far it wasn't worth hunting them down in the long run so I don't bother with it anymore.

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It is a necessary action to keep Romulation out of trouble.

9. xzlq

xzlq New Member

ya.. people like me..rely on romulation now panic where to download game that here dont have.. simply cant get from other webby

10. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

assassin's creed discovery has gne, it was here exacty a week ago, and now it's gone (NDS)

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It was removed because its a DSi enhanced game, and we don't host them. Completely unrelated.

12. Apollooo

ooh.. i see...
    damn it dsi!!!!!

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

it's not all that bad......i got assassin's creed working just fine....

if you don't listen to a company's request, there may be legal action taken...as in lawsuits for LOTS of money that people don't have......sucks really.

14. phill 678

phill 678 New Member

lets just hope that the site dose not get anymore copyright letters :'(
    but if a load of people go to this site and say that they copy right most games, the whole site is screwed lol

omg! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

come on people! lets hope together! ;D

15. Apollooo

yeah let's hope not, especially good games...

16. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Fail. Microsoft does not publish The Sims.

Besides, this topic has been discussed to death already...

17. Apollooo

okay, close this topic someone?

18. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

well, what evah....
    I know Seph's right... and yes. This is wrong when you actually do it, I mean downloading games.... BUT!
    WHO WANNA SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON AN ACTUAL GAME?!
    I mean think about it, how much is Burnout Paradise on PS3/XBOX360?
    Around $59.99, right?
    Post Merge: [time]1258818171[/time]
    FYI to apocalyptica, Microsoft makes: TS,(Train Simulator) Halo, FS(flight sim), etc.
    EA (Electronic Arts) publishes The Sims!!!

19. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

But do you consider how much it costs to develop it? If you play a game and enjoy it then you ought to buy it to support the developers. If you play a game and it sucks then you just saved yourself money to spend on another game!

20. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Even though the majority of users, probably see this as a way to get free games, rather than what you put.
    To be frank. I'm one of those people. I come from a poor family and we don't have the money for big systems with awesome graphics. The only games I play are around respective friends houses. I don't have the money to buy the games, and I barely had enough to buy this clone.