1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Connecting DS Lite to WiFi......?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaloz, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kaloz

kaloz Member

Hi guys,
    I just bought my son a DS Lite and we're not sure what's the haps with connecting to the WiFi.
    ...gentle, we're NEWBIES.....
    First the paperwork talks about inserting a game cartridge with WiFi capabilities in order to get to the connectivity screens, but then it also talks about connecting with people across the globe thru Pictochat.
    Why should you have to insert a cartridge just to be able to chat?
    What am I missing here?

Thanks, Tony

2. Omega00

Omega00 Well-Known Member

You don't need a game card to use Pictochat, I'm not quite sure how to go about setting it up (my internet router is not compatible with Nintendo products). But there should be an option in the ds lite's menu somewhere to set up all of the internet capabilities

Hope this helps

3. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

Well Kaloz you need to make sure at first that you at least have a wireless internet router in your house so your ds can connect to the internet. Either that or the official nintendo wifi usb dongle that you can buy from nintendos website or from a local gamestop if they have them in stock. If you have a router- when you go into the setup connections for wifi (which is either in a game with wifi or on the ds main menu) it will find your connection if the router isn't locked and u should be good to go. If you get the dongle there is instructions that come with it. Hope that helps

4. kaloz

kaloz Member

OK, yeah we do have the wireless router.
    Just have not been able to find the WiFi setup on the main menu.
    I went to Nintendo's WiFi website, and it shows the connectivity screens, but doesn't explain how to get to them without using a game cartridge.
    We'll give it another look in case we're missing something.

Thanks!

5. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

now that i think of it (i checked my ds) never really realized it but you can only access the wifi connection through a game that has wifi - by choosing the wifi setup connection option in the game..at this time im pretty sure there is no way to just simply pictochat online with someone with a ds lite.. there are certain games that use pictochat to communicate while you are playing with someone else(most likely what they mean when they say pictochat overseas on the ds lite box)..but thats it...i don't own a dsi but im pretty sure since those are internet friendly now that you can pictochat online with those..dont quote me..but yeah for ds lite..u need a wifi enabled game to connect .. sorry if this is displeasing news :( but hopefully it helped clear the air

6. kaloz

kaloz Member

Thanks Mcoupe69 for taking the time to check it out.

Tony

7. Mcoupe69

Mcoupe69 Guest

No problem man, good luck to you, hope you and your son get the most out of your ds its still an amazing little peice of crap :)