1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Confused! What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by R.fox, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.fox

R.fox Member

Hello! :)

I haven't touched my DS Lite for a while, and lately there are many good games that have been released for the DS. Anyways, I have a DS Lite, a Black Cartridge R4, and a SD Micro 1GB.

In the beginning when I first got the R4, all I needed to do was download the ROM then put it into my R4 and play it.

Now, when I downloaded Scribblenauts, and GTA:CW and I put it in the R4 and play it, it said that I need to reinsert the cartridge and turn off my DS.

I am not sure what is causing this, because it had never happened to me. Is it because I need to patch it? Oh right! My firmware for the R4 is V.1.11 :)

Thanks for your help!

2. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

You might want to read this :)

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Ya, 1.11 is an old firmware, so you probably won't be able to play much with it :)

4. duzke

duzke Well-Known Member

Can you update your firmware on the r4. Plus, GTA Chinatown Wars you will need to patch. You should probably upgrade your flashcard to something better if you wish to play without too many patches.

5. R.fox

R.fox Member

So in other words, the cause of my problem is because my firmware is old. So, if I were update my firmware it would fix the problem? Sorry but I haven't been following up on the latest firmware for the original "R4", and I am wondering which one it is. Thanks!

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It would fix some problems, but far from all. Basically the R4 flash cart stopped being updated a couple of years ago by now and only thing that's been done since is community updates and patches. So while updating to latest firmware or updating to YSMenu would help some, you will most likely have to apply patches to some ROMs to get them to work.

7. CSL00

CSL00 Well-Known Member

The latest official R4 firmware is 1.18 you can get it on www.r4ds.com. You still have to patch most new games but not scribblenauts and GTA CW clean rom worked fine with me (went up to half of it - then got bored like most gta i've played which makes the ds one as good as the consoles for me).

8. R.fox

R.fox Member

Yay! I'm downloading it right now, since I Haven't done it in a while all I have to do is replace the files on the 1.18 firmware with my old firmware?

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Other way around, replace your old firmware files with the new 1.18 files.

10. R.fox

R.fox Member

I replaced the files, but I think I forgot that I got my R4 from Hong KOng so it is in Chinese... right now I cannnot play games because of some error that pops up when I start up my DS! What should I do!?!

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Get a picture of your R4 so we can see if it's an original or a clone. If it's a clone you might need some different firmware.

12. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

You'll probably just need the Chinese version of 1.18.

13. R.fox

R.fox Member

Ok! I don't think it is a clone but I'll get the pictures.

14. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

mine came from hong kong too, but I still use english firmware

15. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The R4 firmware, when downloaded, comes in a folder called "English" or "ENG". The files and folders need to be taken out of that folder and put on your MicroSD. Make sure you do this, otherwise you will just get an error when you turn on you DS.

16. R.fox

R.fox Member

I think I did that... I downloaded the 1.18V Firmware, and copied and pasted those folders into my R4, and I got a error in chinese when I turned my DS on. Yeah I bought my R4 in Hong Kong...

17. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Try http://ehsia.com/r4-chinese-english/

18. R.fox

R.fox Member

Link does work for some strange reason, I'm planning to copy my friend's chinese 1.18 and see if that works, then patch it back to english :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.