1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Concerns regarding ISP and downloading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mistressarcana, Jan 28, 2009.

1. mistressarcana

mistressarcana New Member

Note that I live in Canada.
    I was wondering whether ISP's are able to tell and know that the file you are downloading is a ROM, even just from the name of it? Particularly with the numbers, such as 3011 - (title) that they might be familiar with, knowing it as a ROM file.
    I know that you can use encryption with uTorrent, but for these I have been using the Direct Download method (which I don't think you can hide) so I'm a bit concerned even though I haven't got any warnings for the past 3 months since starting.

Thanks

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no they can't. all they can tell without making a lot of effort is that you're downloading a file from a website via direct http download. Anything more requires deep packet inspection and possibly packet reconstruction, which isnt worth the effort.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

ISPs really don't care whether or not you download illegal things (unless they're running out of bandwidth, but even then they'd usually look at non http traffic first)

They only send those letters when they get a complaint for a company, for example one that monitors p2p traffic and sees you downloading there. So the only really feasible way for you to get noticed downloading here is if we send a letter to your ISP complaining, but naturally that'd destroy everything we have going here so we won't do that. :p

4. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

True. From experience, MOST ISPs don't/won't give a shit until any **AA related organization decides to sue. So, download the shit you want, but for fuck's sakes keep it private. Don't need to tell the whole word :p

5. Datanotfound

Datanotfound Well-Known Member

As far as I remember from the disclaimers (haven't read one in years), its perfectly legal to download ROMs. Legally you must delete a ROM 24 hours after obtaining it if you do not actually own the game.

I could be completely wrong though, can someone give me a yay or nay on this? =p

6. dave_salmon

dave_salmon Well-Known Member

For any one living in the UK a bit of good news:

[size=10pt]Government Abandons Piracy Legislation[/size]

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/605400/government-abandons-piracy-legislation.html

7. Loonylion

saw it on BBC yesterday. Not quite the end of the debate though.

utter bullshit spouted by websites to try and defend themselves and make people feel they're not breaking the law. It has no legal basis and would not even reach court, let alone form any sort of defense. ROMs are illegal, no two ways about it.

8. Datanotfound

Even if we orginally purchased the ROM?

9. Loonylion

if you purchased the romfile that's doubly illegal. If you mean purchased the game, then its legal only under the condition you dumped the rom yourself for the sole purpose of being a backup copy for yourself alone.

10. Datanotfound

Well, I meant purchasing the game, phrased it wrong...sorry =p

Oh well, I never expected any part of this to be legal in any sense. I wonder if the big game publishers will ever find a way to stop piracy? As far as I've seen, neither side is giving in, no matter what kind of DRM is used, or whatever cracks and patches that are forged =p

11. Loonylion

they won't find a way. There is a way to massively reduce it, and they know there is, but they are too stubborn to take it. So the war will continue until they have no other option.

12. dave_salmon

dave_salmon Well-Known Member

OR the big guns go bust and the indie developers rule the world! muwhahahahahahahaha...cough. Like that will ever happen.

Yeah it's not the end of the debate but at least they realize the futility in even trying such a thing.

13. mistressarcana

mistressarcana New Member

Thank you very much for the responses :)
    Also, just have one last question. For member downloads (which I use), are the hosted servers you mention run by staff of this site? I ask b/c sometimes I'm scared about about certain hosting sites such as Rapidshare (for the Guest downloads) that I've heard may not hesitate to turn over those who download certain content if need be. Probably unlikely, but always that chance.

14. Loonylion

yes we run the servers. I would be doubtful as to how much rapidshare et al could actually turn over willing or not, unless you have a premium account with them all they have is the IP address you appeared to have downloaded the file with; and it is not possible to tie IP addresses to individuals closely enough to satisfy the 'beyond reasonable doubt' doctorine of criminal courts. Regardless of what you hear about in the news, an IP address does not constitute legal evidence and cannot ever be made to. Any competent expert witness will inform the court of that.