1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Computer Gone Mad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solus, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Anyone had this trouble before? My computer resets itself whenever it likes. Today it reset to the point when loading windows it resets and I can even use my frikin computer. Im using a laptop now just so you know.

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

It's most likely a virus.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

overheating can also cause resets, is your machine overclocked at all?

4. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

No it's not overheated.

5. Loonylion

how much ram does it have, and in what config? (i.e how many modules of what sizes)

6. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Um...I never knew. Can you imagine. It's quite an old computer. Maybe 8 years old I think. Think it is just because of normal wear and tear stuff?

7. Loonylion

I'm thinking it might be ram gone bad. Can you get MemTest86+ to run on it for an extended period? (google it, if you need more help ask)

8. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Anyway I don't think it matters. I'm going overseas to study next year and I'm getting a new laptop soon. Thx anyways.

9. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Try a Virus scan.

10. ultra

ultra Guest

it may be the hard drive. there may be a bad sector or something.

11. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

How can I scan for virus when I can't even go into windows.

12. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Boot off a live disk, such as a variant of Linux and then run a virus scan. I'm sure there's one out there that has a virus program on the disk, if not you could download and install it into the live disk's HDD, although that could lead to problems. Of course, that's only going to fix it if you have a virus.

13. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Load in safe mode and see if it still happens.

14. vakama

vakama Guest

if it dosen't stop get a new and better computer with windows xp or vista

15. rounds25

rounds25 Well-Known Member

Some people don't have the money to do that.

EDIT: yay 50th post! I'm no longer a n00b!

16. ultra

ultra Guest

do you still have that ancient technology known as a floppy drive [3.5" diskette drive]?? i don't know if current anti-vi's still use this technology as a back up system when one can't log into windows to scan for virus.

norton's anti-vi use to allow users to have a dos like anti virus program where it will scan windows without having to load into windows. i don't know if current anti-vi's still do this as a back up if you can't load to windows or if you have to perform scans before windows.

17. Loonylion

there are still dos based AVs out there for this purpose. A liveCD would be an alternative (try googling 'ultimate boot cd')

18. ultra

ultra Guest

but the other question still remains, do they use floppy's or cd's to boot??

19. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's correct, avast is a nice av... but i once downloaded avast 4.7 and the av itself came with a virus... the world is really going to end...

20. AetherMaster

AetherMaster Well-Known Member

That's nothing :p

I had a free trial of Norton come with my computer. I installed it. It ATE Windows!!--deleted the entire folder.