1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Comparing two Laptops

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Dark Infernape, May 7, 2014.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I want to know which out of these two is a better system Performance wise.
    Which processor is faster and which graphics is better?

Toshiba Satellite L850-Y3110
    Core i7 3630QM (3rd Gen) 2.4 GHz with Turbo Boost Upto 3.4 GHz Cache 6 MB
    Win 8 64 bit
    8 GB DDR3 Ram
    SATA 750 GB HDD @ RPM 5400
    ATI Radeon HD 7670M 2 GB DDR3

OR

TOSHIBA SATELLITE P50-A Y3110
    Core i7 4500U (4th Gen) 1.8 GHz with Turbo Boost Upto 3 GHz Cache 4 MB
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    8 GB DDR3 Ram
    SATA 1 TB HDD @ RPM 5400
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2 GB DDR3

I want to be able to use PCSX2 and Dolphin and many other PC games.
    Here's what i got when i compared the processors: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM

i7-4500U 3630QM
    Does this mean the i7-4500U is much weaker than the i7-3630QM?

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, they kind of balance each other out.

The L850 has a better processor (answering your question, yes, the i7-3630QM is stronger than the i7-4500U), but has a worse graphics card.
    The P50-A has a processor that is weaker than the L850, but has a better graphics card.

That being said, you're looking at Laptops. You probably want something that is power efficient, and the P50-A has the processor that fits the bill.

Just for clarification, this is my belief, and not backed up by factual evidence.
    Loony will probably clear a few things up, but I do think I'm right.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the M has a higher turbo clock than the U, and to be perfectly honest I haven't been all that impressed by the 4th gen i7s compared to the 3rd gen ones. Mainly because (in the desktop environment) the decent motherboards for 4th gen cost around 2x as much as the top end 3rd gen motherboards, and the overall performance gain is about 3%. Cheaper motherboards suffer from severe PCI-E bandwith contention and that could well be true of haswell based laptops also. Either way I think the 3rd gen would outperform the 4th gen cpu wise in the two examples you've given.

As necr0 pointed out, the catch is the graphics cards. Historically ATi mobile graphics chips have been poor. While neither match the performance of their desktop counterparts, the Nvidia ones have historically been much closer to the mark (around 80% of the performance of the desktop equivalent) whereas with ATi have been around 40% of the performance of the equivalent desktop card.

If you want to play games mostly, don't buy a laptop, it tends not to end well.

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Thank you necr0 & Loony for your opinions.