1. This forum is in read-only mode.

COICA passed through senate.

Discussion in 'General News' started by personuser, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Discuss/Rage.

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

This is actually a pretty big deal. A decent fraction of the world's DNS servers are based in the USA. This could have ramifications for any individual using a American DNS, because it will shut down access to that site for ANYONE using a DNS server based in America (one of which is, to my knowledge, Google's 8.8.8.8.).

Oh man I raged hard

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

This is a load of bullshit!

Awwwww FUCK!

It probably passed because HollyWood and all of the rest kept pushing it...Another example of how business corrupts politics.

4. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Absolute Bullshit. Demonoid has been keeping me in the loop on this.
    This won't be pretty, and the concussion from this will cause sites to pull their stuff down, thus effectively eliminating torrent sites, and quite possibly P2P sites as well.

Better get your shit while you can.

5. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

Google provides links to illegal content. Will they be shut down as well?

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

this could well be the worst mistake the US has made in recent years. I can quite see their economy suffering very badly from this.

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Do they really think that by attempting to eliminate piracy that they will encourage people to spend their money? With the American economy as it stands, this is one of the worst possible times to even attempt to push something like this through. This will only hurt the businesses they so hope to boost. Everybody knows that the millions they've made already (far surpassing what many make in a life time) just isn't enough.

This won't boost sales of previously pirated content, this won't help the US, this will only create resentment towards a government that still isn't doing too hot. COICA is so poorly thought out, anybody who actually thinks its a good idea needs to take a step back and lrn2rd.

Remember folks, reading comprehension is important. Apparently our Senators that we waste our time electing never learned that.

8. Reider

Reider Modereider

I guess the only thing to hope for at this point is Obama vetoing it. I haven't actually heard much in regards to his opinion on the matter.

9. dedboy

dedboy Guest

He's all business about it. Caught a snipet of what he said on C-Span.
    "It's in the best interest of america to protect our business and maintain the business infrastructure."
    So most likely, he won't veto it.

10. Loonylion

it can be repealed later when people realise what a disaster it is.

11. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Yeah, but unlike prohibition , once the damage is done, it's done.
    the torrent sites won't go through the hassle of reupping everything. And some people will be too scared to share files via P2P.
    Nothing more than bullies they are.

12. Loonylion

it wont affect most p2p at all. bittorrent no longer needs trackers so it wont have a huge effect there either.

13. Reider

Reider Modereider

Wasn't aware of that. How does it work specifically if you're not using a tracker?

14. Loonylion

DHT and local peer exchange.

15. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Well that is a relief. Torrents going down will suck, but they left a thumbprint anyways.
    So long as the local peer enchange isn't affected, then it's not a total wash.
    Still, I don't want to think that if they get this far with it, it's only the tip of the iceburg that sinks the economical ship we're floating out to sea on.

^^bad anology alert.

16. Loonylion

I don't think its even the tip of the iceberg, I think it's pretty much an iceberg in its own right. You can bet that its not going to be used for its intended purpose. Legitimate businesses will be blocked out by better connected and financed competitors and non-US companies will be disadvantaged against US businesses. Thus, it will completely destroy what little respect for the US that remains present in the rest of the world

land of the free, my arse.

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I'll just get my music from the library I guess. =\

Don't know where I'll get my video game OSTs though.

And home of the corrupt.

18. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Hostile takeovers is what came to my mind.
    God, the small business owners will even feel the wrath of this. This will cause a kickback with severe trickle down effects. It basically exposes us for allowing the system to be set up, then sanctioning it for the purpose of controlling the revune it brings in.
    Like making weed legal to score fast money, then switching back over to illegal to control the cash flow.
    This will expose us as being hyprocites to a cause we let slide, and even embraced as counter culture.

19. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

Under this law any site that assists in infringing content will get shut down.

That means that the developers sites for flashcards and the firmware sites are in danger as well, since they assist in the infringement of copyrights.

In a much more wide scope, under this new law search engines could potentially be shut down as well.

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted eh? Thank god we still have ebay. If we can't get shitty movies, music, and games for free then we can at least get it at half price or less.

20. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Will anything happen to image hosting sites where many users upload copyrighted images?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.