1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Click this if you like Einstein. String theory.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mekusho, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mekusho

mekusho Well-Known Member

I just couldn't resist the urge of making a topic about the string theory.
    Technically this theory is about.. eh.. know what ?
    I'll just copy some text from wikipedia and past it.
    Sorry for the long text but it's very interesting, please read it.

String theory is a still-developing mathematical approach to theoretical physics, whose original building blocks are one-dimensional extended objects called strings. Unlike the point particles in quantum field theories like the standard model of particle physics, strings interact in a way that is almost uniquely specified by mathematical self-consistency, forming an apparently valid quantum theory of gravity.

Since its birth as the dual resonance model which described the strongly interacting hadrons as strings, the term string theory has changed to include any of a group of related superstring theories and larger frameworks such as M-theory, which unite them. A shared property of all these theories is the holographic principle.

String theorists have not yet completely described these theories, nor have they determined if these theories relate to the physical universe or how.[1] The logical coherence of the approach, however, and the fact that string theory can include all older theories of physics, have led many physicists to believe that such a connection is possible. In particular, string theory is the first candidate theory of everything, a way to describe all the known natural forces (gravitational, electromagnetic, weak and strong) and matter (quarks and leptons) in a mathematically complete system. On the other hand, many detractors criticise string theory because it has not yet provided experimentally testable predictions.

Like any other quantum theory of gravity, it is widely believed that testing the theory experimentally would be prohibitively expensive, requiring feats of engineering on a solar-system scale. Although string theory, like any other scientific theory, is falsifiable in principle, critics maintain that it is unfalsifiable for the foreseeable future, and so should not be called science.

Work on string theory is made interesting because of the mathematics involved, and because of the large number of forms that the theories can take. String theory strongly suggests that spacetime has eleven dimensions [2], not the usual three space and one time; but the theory can easily describe universes with four observable spacetime dimensions too.

String theories include objects more general than strings, called branes. These are black-holes charged with a differential form vector potential which has more than one index, a different type of electricity and magnetism where the fundamental objects are extended. By studying certain p-branes and identifying them with D-branes, endpoints for strings, certain types of string theory are shown to be equivalent to certain types of more traditional gauge theory. Research on this equivalence has led to new insights on quantum chromodynamics, the fundamental theory of the strong nuclear force.

If you read it thanks.
    If you didn't, READ IT DAMN IT ! Haha, just kidding ;)
    Let's see, this is for the people that don't know English very well, or didn't understand it.

Usually, scientists think of matter as being made of very, very small particles. These particles are so small (we are talking on a scale much smaller than an atom) we cannot observe them to see their shape. Currently, all mathematical formulas assume they are point-like and therefore have no size at all. The main idea behind string theory is that this assumption is wrong, and that these small particles are instead shaped as tiny strings.

The theory imagines that these strings are not precise particles (unlike things that are seen and counted). The strings are very small (10-35 m long), yet they seem to behave like regular particles. It explains how other particles and forces behave. Because they are so small their actual shape doesn't matter much when we are doing calculations of bigger objects.

So what do you guys think about it ?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we can see sub-atomic particles with the right equipement...

3. Renji217

Renji217 Well-Known Member

So the world is being held together by tiny strings? I thought it was ducktape that held the world together. (>0.0)>

4. mekusho

Haha !! That cracked me up !!

True.. but what do you think about the string theory ?
    It goes deeper then sub-atomic particles, and I don't really know if we are able to see them yet.
    Are you sure ?

5. Loonylion

yes, we can see protons, neutrons and electrons with various different techniques and equipment

personally I learned the quark theory at school, and to me it makes more sense than string theory.

6. questXtreme

questXtreme Active Member

:eek:I didn't fully understand it,even after you explained it..

7. mekusho

Haha yeah, it's verry hard to understand, just youtube it that'll make things a lot easier.

Not really, the string theory goes way deeper than quark, it's also way more complicated, having the biggest physicists on it, and also the only theory for everything, the first one and the only one using the two, or rather combining the two major theories.
    Please watch this you guys.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYbJkKMpPPc
    Can't believe I didn't watch it ! And they also said what I just typed haha I'm proud :D

8. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Paradox? I don't get this very well, and am wondering what you can do with the string theory after we (as humans) solve it.

9. mekusho

Well, if we solve this we take a HUGE step for humanity. This is probably the most important thing ever, we can understand FAR more about life then we know now.
    Why paradox ? You should watch the video link I just posted, and due to your age it's normal you don't understand everything, this is far by the most complicated and important thing ever in history of humankind. That's why it's called the theory of everything.

10. Born2killx

[quote author=mekusho link=topic=7939.msg77318#msg77318 date=1213543185]
    Well, if we solve this we take a HUGE step for humanity. This is probably the most important thing ever, we can understand FAR more about life then we know now.
    Why paradox ? You should watch the video link I just posted, and due to your age it's normal you don't understand everything, this is far by the most complicated and important thing ever in history of humankind. That's why it's called the theory of everything.
    [/quote]
    Blaming me for my age, huh? And by paradox, I mean that 35 meters is not small.

11. mekusho

I'm not blaming you for your age haha.
    It's not 35 meters it's rather a thousands of times smaller. You'll learn that about ehm 2 years at school I think.
    You're 13 right ? I learned it a year ago. I'm 15 so can't blame you for your age haha ;)
    Back to the topic, I actually talked with one of the major theory of chords physicist while he was promoting one of his books.

12. Born2killx

[quote author=mekusho link=topic=7939.msg77390#msg77390 date=1213558734]
    I'm not blaming you for your age haha.
    It's not 35 meters it's rather a thousands of times smaller. You'll learn that about ehm 2 years at school I think.
    You're 13 right ? I learned it a year ago. I'm 15 so can't blame you for your age haha ;)
    Back to the topic, I actually talked with one of the major theory of chords physicist while he was promoting one of his books.
    [/quote]
    Well, technically m means meter. Mm is millimeter, nm is nanometer, pm is picometer, and I remember the smallest one is ym, yoctometer. M is just meter. It could be a mistake on your part.

Also, stop assuming that I and less intelligent because I am younger than you.

13. mekusho

I ain't assuming anything. Stop thinking stuff, already told you twice, we are about the same freakin' age.
    It's just something you learn at school, you'll learn it soon enough, it's math.
    I don't really know the name of it in English :S
    Need some help here.
    It isn't just simply 10m by the way, it's 10-35m I don't really know how to explain it, need someone to help me on this one.

14. Loonylion

15. mekusho

10-35
    the 35 should be small and a little higher than the 10.

16. Loonylion

yep, thats an exponent. xâ„®-35 or x*10-35

17. mekusho

Yeah !!
    Hum, I tried typing that but it doesn't work..
    Oh well.
    That's what it was.
    But what do you think of it Loonylion ?
    You watched the youtube video ?
    If you like it I got a veoh link of the whole movie.

18. Loonylion

try using the [nobbc][/nobbc] tags

19. mekusho

Sorry for being a noob but what's that ?

20. Loonylion

bbcode tags that make the text go up like this