1. This forum is in read-only mode.

China (or rather Hong Kong) Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nomercy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Hey everybody, I've just been informed I have been accepted to an internship to China for a few months! Now, the problem is that I don't know any chinese. I cannot read it, I cannot understand it, I don't the know country, culture or area. Still, in two months time I depart for Shenzhen, which is just north of Hong Kong.

So I was wondering, does anybody here know anything about china, about hong kong, shenzhen? About the culture, english proficiency, good food, good habits, good places to go, bad places not to go, prices, etc. Does anybody have a street map in english, or know where to get one? Any accomodations, tips, things to do (or not to do).

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Congratulations....

I don't know anything about China,
    but I imagine you will find a few English speakers in Hong Kong itself...

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Hong Kong used to be a British colony or something like that. I was there two years ago, and English is spoken there a bit. Britishy English.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I've got a friend who lives there, I'm sure he'll let you ask lots of questions.

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well I heard Hong Kong main language is still cantonese and english...so you shouldnt have any problem....although you might have problem if you go to the main land of China....

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

watch what you say very carefully, the Chinese authorities tend not to take criticism well (whether stated or implied).

7. iamlegend

Hong Kong operates largely independently from China, so I don't think he has to worry too much...

8. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

I'm in China, just north of Hong Kong. It's across the border.

Anybody know anything about the part I mentioned, not just where the borders are?

9. iamlegend

Wikipedia should answer some of your questions....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen

Just don't go around shouting "f**k the Chinese" and have a good time ;)