1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Cheat.dat R4 Flashcart

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by snebbers, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Okay, I recently bought a flashcart from www.r4new.com or some other website related to that one (but that's the website that was stated on the box, and I apologise if that is concieved or percieved as advertising by the respectful people on this website).

The thing is, I have the language setting on my r4 flashcart, with all of my games, set to English, But yet when I press the Y button on my NDS, which is an option on some games only, it comes up with the cheats, but all of which are in japanese text so I can't understand what I am turning on and what I am turning off..

Also There was another thing and that is that there was a lot of contraversy with getting Phantasy Star Zero (J) to work on the DS Flashcarts as there seems to be a saving issue, thus providing an anti-piracy measure. I looked at this and saw that with a newer cheat.dat file I would be able to play the game in Japanese, obviously not being able to play the game properly and understand the story but to be able to get to play a demo of the game, which to my understanding couldn't be more simple as there were instructions on how to do so.

When I put the new cheat.dat file onto my DS it didn't register a single game as being able to have cheats available, and in turn turned every language setting on my NDS to Japanese...

So with these two problems at hand I am hoping that somebody in the community may be able to assist me, I would be very greatful for any solutions or opinions which may effectively tackle these inconveniences.

My firmware version is 1.23 and the card is an R4DS I believe.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Get a usrcheat.dat from http://cheats.gbatemp.net/ and have that in your _system_ folder as usual. Issues with cheats not showing up, try looking at the Common Issues https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

3. snebbers

Okay I shall do that. Also excuse the fact that this was posted under the wrong forum section.

EDIT: Well I looked under that help section and I reviewed the information very carefully. Following the steps with Yasu's R4CCE software I managed to make the Cheat.dat database within 100 games and reduced the size down to 1.1mb

I then tried this and still had no success, So I did the other technique using R4Custom on the DS_MENU.Dat and still there was no difference on the result.. Help would be most appreciated...

4. anandjones

You should have just tried putting the database in first and then seeing if you could enable or see cheats in English.

5. snebbers

Yasu's software for patching the files seems to translate my file types to japanese, I used the official R4 Cheat Code editor that you posted about in your tutorial devoted to just getting the cheats to work and with it I can add cheats to any game and make them in English, very convenient ^_^

I've only just realised that r4cce stands for R4 cheat code editor.. How slow of me, it only took 3 days...

the R4cce software that Yasu provided changes the settings on my card somehow and I don't know how to fix that.. Regardless, with the official version it doesn't change the language. So I thank you for the previous tutorial and you posting to help me.

*bows*

6. anandjones

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/files/09_01_09_USRCHEAT.DAT.zip contains English cheats, so that's a bit odd. Make sure your DS firmware itself is English and try reinstalling the R4 firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.