1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Cheat Codes - Where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Cheats & Hints' started by richard_brooksid, Dec 27, 2008.

1. richard_brooksid

richard_brooksid Well-Known Member

I know that http://cheats.gbatemp.net/ has the latest and greatest compilation of cheat codes this side of the Internet - I don't need to go anywhere else to update my list. My question is more angled to how the cheat codes are created; how can we know if a game even has the ability to be modified by a cheat code?

Is there a tool out there that will let you look into a ROM and find what codes are available for a specific game? Is there a formal chain of command for how to request a code for a game?

Thanks for any help or ideas.....

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

There's a great guide on gbatemp.net forums, somwhere, which does tell all you need to know. You'll have to find it yourself though sorry.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

A cheat code is usually a programming shortcut used when testing games before release. In the case of action replay et al, these codes are overwriting variables within the running code, such as the variable storing lives/ammo etc.

4. richard_brooksid

I guess what I was looking for was a way to load up a ROM into some program and be able to tell what variables are modifiable to have unlimited whatevers. Maybe it would show the shortcuts if the programmer defined them at the start of the code.

I have been playing Professor Heinz Gravity and was hoping a cheat would be out for unlimited hints.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

If you play on an emulator, it's provided cheat engines function just like what you're describing.

Say you don't have any Codebreaker, Action Replay or Gameshark codes for a certain game you're playing on an emulator, if you opt to manually search for codes, you would fiddle around the game's data addresses using the cheat engine to find which addresses store which data you need. Like the addresses to where HP values are stored at, or where money values are stored at.

6. richard_brooksid

I think I understand what you are getting at. I have used emmulators (no$gba) and fiddled with the Emucheat tool to try and figure out which addresses are muckable with limited success. I can add the codes to AR carts and/or the user.Evocheats database without too much difficulty as well. Working with programmers in a former job position afforded me the chance to see some of their interesting methods followed by various coders; it also made this topic that much easier to understand and follow.

Ironically, after searching for several days, I came across a site where someone posted some codes for the game I am currently playing. GSCentral.org (more fan based codes than typical) had these for Gravity:

http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?t=27666

Professor Heinz Wolff's GRAVITY
    [999 Hints Points Save one]
    04710BEC 000003E7
    [999 Hints Points Save two]
    04710C20 000003E7
    [999 Hints Points Save three]
    04710C54 000003E7

I am going to try these out in the emulator and then see if I can 'discover' them myself using the Emu tool along with no$gba. I will post my results.