1. This forum is in read-only mode.

CD's vs Cartridges

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Light_Of_Darkness, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Light_Of_Darkness

Light_Of_Darkness Well-Known Member

which do you prefer? I personally prefer the cartridge since loading times are practically non-existent (if you call the second of black screen you get when you press play a loading time).

2. ICE-X

ICE-X Well-Known Member

I like disc based media because it holds more data, I don't know how much different cartridges can hold, but I know it's a lot less than the 8.5GB of a DVD+R DL or the 25GB of a BD-R.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Cart can vary a fair bit...but it can't ever hold as much as even a cd...

It's a cheaper format-holds more-and if using the right stuff it can load as quick as carts...

Look at smash brother on gc and wii-ONLY A SECOND LOADING!

I miss carts...but that was before I got into the rom scene XD

Now I prefer them...so easy to rip ps2 games these days XD

(disadvantage to cd formats-piracy is hard to avoid-even gc was knocked down)

4. ultra

ultra Guest

it's a matter of useability. for home consoles, cd's are better as it's able to hold more data. the load times on cd's are manageable as mentioned by some people. developers have found ways for reducing load times in games. nintendo for instance is very good at reducing load times as well as managing data sizes.

cartridges are better for handheld devices. with handheld, it's meant for portability and that means constant movements, which is something not good for cd's which often has to remain stationary. additionally, since handhelds are meant to be on the run and quick access, this means a media that has very quick access time, which only cartridges are able to do. this is why the ds is better in storage/access solution then the psp.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

cartridges are also a lot more rugged and hardwearing than discs.

6. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I liked the UMD format since it was encased in plastic with only a small portion of the disc exposed.

7. ultra

ultra Guest

which is also another reason why they are good for handhelds.

8. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

too bad they contact wear down overtime, i think that is what happen to my Pearl.....

anyway i like Disc base storage, it took less space and store more....however it also require to handle with care on the reading part.

9. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

you can have flash drives now that can store a good amount of space, so i'll go with that.

10. Loonylion

different type of memory to whats in cartridges.

11. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I don't really care which. Until it plays the game how it is supposed to.

12. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Neither can internal harddrives... which is soo the way forward. Particulary in the case of handhelds.

13. Light_Of_Darkness

think the hard drive in your computer, then take that, put games into it then use that has memory for a handheld, except you need to open up the case to take it out.

14. Loonylion

hard drives are sensitive to physical shock, if you drop it you're more than likely fucked.

15. ultra

ultra Guest

exactly! and not only that, cartridges and cd's are actual property that we own as compared to a hard drive, which are used only to store the image of the game and have no true value as compared to a cartridge or cd.

16. Light_Of_Darkness

and hard drives are about the size of a DS. don't forget the size ;)

17. Loonylion

actually you can get very small ones. I have a couple that I can almost hide in my hand.

18. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Solid state drives are the way of the future.

19. Loonylion

price per GB needs to come down considerably. And they need to do something about them wearing out after 10,000 read/write cycles.

20. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The other day, I saw a replacement SSD drive for the eeePC 901. It was like...$300 for 64GB, IIRC.