1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can't send stuff overseas=battery!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mds64, Jan 7, 2011.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Hello y'all, I was about to send something overseas today...only for my local post offic to tell me no, because it has a lithium ion battery...

Personally, that is bullshit, I recieved this item by air mail once before, and I got another battry (a psp tool battery) via air mail, and here they are telling me unless it goes by truck...I can't send it.

Now I wish not to say too much about the destination but...I looked on the website...

http://auspost.com.au/apps/international-post-guide.html

The destination is to the USA, and according to that, lithium ion batteries aren't a problem...

But is there a risk that it would explode-and why can people via ebay send these off, and yet I CANT'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Long story short-I want to send this device which has a lithium ion battery overseas, need suggestions (also this is the first time I done this-Im not normally the one sending but recieving XD)

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I got my frickin Pandora Battery from China which is clearly overseas since I live in the U.S.

The only thing they gave me was the battery in some small bubble wrap in a heavily padded package.

I say screw them and send it anyway.

3. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Buy from dealextreme, only source I can think of which sends overseas (world-wide) and box which is safe...
    Batteries do heat up, and if overheated can cause battery leaks (which is not good for the enviorment or you) and can even cause cancer...maybe thats they're problem...it may also explode under pressure if heated.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Hrm...

I got mine from the UK :p

Well, I might as well risk it, Im gonna ask theem for a box, bubble wrap the fuck out of it, and toss to the plane.

If it blows up any Australian MP's that are preventing the sale of R18+ games then let it blow XD

This is still open guys, any aussie care to enlighten me?

5. doughboy

doughboy Guest

tis bubblerapped my boy. XD

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

take the battery out of the device and cover the electrical contacts with tape.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

ANy perticular type?

8. Loonylion

no, just make it obvious its been done. masking tape is easy to remove and would do the job

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

AH, I see, will do.

I never planned to have the batt inside the device seeing as both my psp's have drained from leaving them in for so long without use so I assume this is gonna be the same, the tape is another story.

10. Loonylion

the tape prevents the battery from short circuiting, which could cause a fire or explosion.

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Masking tape isn't rated to stop short circuiting of electrical contacts :) Not saying it wouldn't work, but it's not listed for it.

Get yourself a roll of electrical tape, it's very handy stuff, almost as handy as duct tape.

12. Loonylion

so long as it doesnt tear it will stop low voltages

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...All we have is packing tape >_<

Also I checked around, I'll have to send this by a courier if I want to send the battery-as much illegal stuff I do (driving fast, piracy, price cutting etc) Im not gonna go to jail over a battery XD

Will duct tape work?

I think we might have some of that knowing my father...

14. Loonylion

I wouldnt suggest duck tape as it has a tendency to leave adhesive behind when removed.