1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can't log in to Kubuntu 10.10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treec_cynda, Oct 18, 2010.

1. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Like the topic says.

I have five or six accounts on my copy of Kubuntu 10.10. When I try to login to my system account (which is the only administrator) it tells me that it cannot access the home directory and then brings up Error Code 3, which is KStartup or whatever does not exist or failed. With all the others, it tells me I must change my password, and when I do, it says that I did not supply a password and brings me back to the login screen. Has this happened to anyone else??

I guess I'm lucky I partitioned my hard drive :D

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

your install is damaged.

3. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

It can't be damaged, it worked before...

I think gksudo caused it, but what I need to know is how to fix it. I can't reinstall it, it'll confuse my hard drive and cause it to erase itself. And it has important files on it.

Anyone else?

4. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

UPDATE: I've made an animated GIF of my problem. Find it here: http://makeagif.com/i/OKEr7a

I took these pictures with a camera, so they're at the wrong angles.

5. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Set a new password if asked...and actually input something. From what I gather from the gif you posted you didn't even input a password.

And yes it can be damaged. Even running Firefox on it can damage it badly.

You can't access any of the other accounts and change the admin's account from in there, supplying the admin's password if asked?

6. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

@Yoshi: I COULDN'T input a password because by that point the computer quit reading the keyboard. And no, I couldn't log on to any other accounts.