1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Cannot save games with ePSXe170, can someone give me some insight?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by helloimnice, Dec 28, 2010.

1. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

I've looked through a few other threads with people who have the same issue, but those solutions did not work for me.

The game is Breath of Fire III. I can use the in-game saves, but whenever I exit ePSXe, the saves will not be there when I return. For some reason, the save states no longer work either. For example, I have a save state in the game where my character is level 4, whenever I try saving to a new slot, or saving over the previous slot, the save remains there until I exit ePSXe, then the save state returns me to my level 4 character.

This is the first emulator I've ever used, and I'm sorry if my description of the issue isn't that detailed. Does anyone have an idea as to what I could try?

2. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I didn't have a problem with using the save feature of it.

Try using pSX113(Google it, it's an emulator)
    http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/
    That will help you on emulator decisions.

EPSXE has to be configured perfectly for it to work, and it takes some tweaks to run some games.

the PSX Version 113 emulator comes with the plug ins already installed. No muss, no fuss.
    Give it a try for a better emulation experience.
    If you'd still like to get the EPSXE emulator running, we have tutorials on how to do so.

3. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

I downloaded pSX113 and got it working, but there are no memory card files. How do I create memory card files? Or do I just use the state saves?

4. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Open the emulator, go to "File", click on it-

Then click on "configuration"

This is where you will see "Memory Cards"

Click that on, go to the space where slot one is, name your card what you want to, and create it.

You can use save states as well in game for those moments you couldn't save otherwise still. You can create as many memory cards as you choose.

Also you can download game saves from gamefaqs and use them if you'd like to :)

5. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

Awesome! Everything is working perfectly and it saves fine without a problem! I just have one more question, this one is a little sillier. I cannot enter full screen mode with out the task bar showing, and the window bar at the top of the screen. I looked through the readme, but it didn't specify how to enter complete full screen mode, I promise this is the last question!

6. dedboy

dedboy Guest

If you check under configurations, you'll see a graphics tab. You can adjust the resolution there.
    To be honest, you may not be able to rid yourself of the .exe taskbar entirely.
    Be careful with the resolutions, as if you go out of range it will screw up your emulator.

Also if you choose to go back to EpsxE for whatever reason, you'll just need to tinker with your setup to get it to run and save properly. Ironically the .mcr files used for the pSX emulator are interchangeable with the EPSXE emulator. This means you can copy your breath of fire 3 memory card, and transfer it to your EpsxE emulator when you get it working, and vice versa!.

I use them both at times, but the pSX one I prefer. It's just simple and quick to get into, plus you do not need to install it, so it takes up less system space than the EPSXE one does.

K, I'm done rambling, have fun with BOF3. Tip- remember to get the influence enemy skill from the boss goblins in the first forest. You'll need it later for sure.

Grand gaming.

7. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

Thanks for the tip! I played through the game as a kid, so I'm going to try to get a little more in depth into the game this time, i.e. building up my fairy village and a few other things. Will I really need influence later?

8. dedboy

dedboy Guest

If you want to keep a certain someone under control. If not he'll attack you and the enemies indiscriminately.

It's Rei BTW

9. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

Ahhh. Now I remember. That certain someone gains the ability to transform and become more powerful, but they can attack you. Thanks for the reminder!

10. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Bingo! Now go have fun and enjoy. To this day, I never did get all the apprentices to train under. I hope you remember them all. Have fun chief.
    Oh and Screw Mikba... He has a 96% reprisal rate and auto criticals(Lucky Strike)

11. helloimnice

helloimnice Member

Thanks again for all the help!