1. This forum is in read-only mode.

can u really play ps1 on ps2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amatsusah, Dec 25, 2008.

1. amatsusah

amatsusah Active Member

is it really possible to play ps1 cd's on ps2? anyone know?

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes. If your PS2 is chipped.

3. amatsusah

amatsusah Active Member

like modded or something?

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

You sure you aren't thinking of another system? My PS2 was able to play PS1 games when it was brand new out of the box.

Really, one of the best things about the PS2 was the backwards compatibility since good games were rather scarce back when it was new. :p

5. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

It can play PS1 games all the time, provided they are original. If your PS2 is chipped then you can play PS1 games you download.

6. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

The PS2 is backwards compatiable.... You can play PS1 games on a PS2

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Sad though, the PS3 seems to be not backwards compatible for PSOne games.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I've played TR2 on my PS3

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Newer PS3 systems have abandoned backwards compatibility. If you got one of the early 60GB models or the MGS4 or MotorStorm 80GB model, then you are lucky.

But the new ones, and the only ones being made now, don't have backwards compatibility.

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Eh, my bad, I thought he meant playing burnt PSX games.

11. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Wrong. The new PS3s don't have PS2 backwards compatibility. The PS3, in all it's forms, has PSOne backwards compatibility.

12. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

i thought you could play PS1 gmaes on the PS2 if it was an original game... most of my PS1 games are burned, and one of the PS1 games that i have (thats original) worked on my PS2..

13. mcam

mcam New Member

Yes!

14. DragonQuester

Alright, i only have 2 legit PSX games, and the other 20 or so are burned :p lol
    i'll have to mod my PS3, to play everything, but then i cant go online because Sony will know that its modded!

15. victor123

victor123 Member

hey i tried to play errr forget it if i say it i will go to th jail but my PS2 exploded and my tv antennahit the wall

16. DragonQuester

? We need to know what you played though Victor.. this is a ROM site, so its legal, right?

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

PS3 cannot be modded as of yet.

18. DragonQuester

damn, i just have to wait then.. i thought it was able to be modded, thanks loony

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The fact that PS3 games are using the Blu-ray format for storage will presumably halt any progress on PS3 modding for quite some time.

20. khaislash

khaislash Well-Known Member

Your PS2 needs to be modded with a " Modbo Chip " or " Mars816HD ".Disc of PS1 games, PS2 games or DVD movies in spite of whatever the media
    format D5, D9, CD-R, DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW is all you have to do is just, insert
    the disc and enjoy your gaming