1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can ROMs Break Down?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TheFreakinDuck, Jun 25, 2013.

1. TheFreakinDuck

TheFreakinDuck Well-Known Member

I have a Game Gear ROM of Sonic Labyrinth and back in 2007 it was running on my Kega Fusion perfectly...now everytime I try to load it all I get is a black screen.

It's the EXACT SAME ROM that I've had for the past six years. Is it possible that the ROM just up and stopped working?

2. version3

version3 Is actually KappaMikey in the internet

Yeah, that's possible.

Data in your hard drive would lose small bits and pieces every time you do something (copying, deleting, clearing stuff, defraging your HD). Lose enough of the small parts, and your stuff (be it roms, music files, videos and whatnot) would just stop working or have problems in running them.

Just back-up your stuff in other media (CDs and DVDs) and you'll be golden.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This is complete and utter rubbish. the ONLY way this could happen is if there's damage to the filesystem or the underlying storage media. file operations are NOT destructive.

4. version3

version3 Is actually KappaMikey in the internet

Older hard drives (like mine, because im2poor) tend to do shit like this. I'm not trying to be an expert, just stating something that has happened to me before.

Also, there's a huge possibility that my lack of proper sleep and food for the past 3 days might contribute with me talking out of my ass. So forgive me if I seem to know more than I do.

5. Loonylion

then there's something wrong with it.

6. TheFreakinDuck

Well there definitely is something wrong with the ROM. While I was waiting for a response I downloaded a different copy of the ROM and it worked perfectly O_O

I dunno what caused the first ROM to stop working though. To be honest this a new computer different from the one I had in 2007 (Windows Vista then Windows 7 now) so I dunno if operating systems have anything to do with it.

7. Loonylion

nope, its likely become corrupted at some point because of a filesystem or copy error.

8. TheFreakinDuck

Well at least I found a working copy in the end of it all.