1. This forum is in read-only mode.

can my PS2 play PAL games?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by lugia543, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

my PS2 is modded so i was just wondering because dark cloud 2 is at 94% and it is PAL. don't want it to go to waste

2. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

What country did you buy the PS2 at?

3. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

no idea. i was at australia then we moved to the Philippines and to my uncle's house. i got his PS2 as a gift before he moved to america. he said that it is a NTSC ps2 and modded before he left.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if it came from america it will be NTSC, and if you try to play PAL games on it there will be no colour.

5. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

but it's modded!

6. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

Yes but it doesn't matter.
    You can try and see what happens.

7. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

maybe i can use a PAL to NTSC converter. it converts the color and the y-axis so that it works.

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can play PAL games on your modded PS2.

I play PAL games on my Wii all the time.

It's not a guarantee because some of the games require a patch, but still you can give it a shot.
    (ie. Pikmin 2 is black and white and is unplayable, Boom Blox is Black and White, both require a Video Patch through the USB Loader, but Pikmin 2 still doesn't play... :( )

You may want to try the converter to fix the colors.

I have only played NTSC-J and NTSC-U on my PS2. Not PAL games before.

9. Loonylion

you cant. the console cannot decode the colour information in the game. A converter box is further upstream. modding only bypasses the region lock so the game runs.

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You may be able to find a PPF patch that will convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa. They exist, but I don't know how well they work (or if they are available for this game). I'd imagine they are pretty poor.

You might be able to play on an emulator instead, it will be able to decode the game correctly, PAL or NTSC.

11. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

nevermind. the game plays but the game is out of color. i just need to get a new HD tv that supports PAL that's all

12. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

I think it's the PS2 that needs to be PAL

13. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

the PS2 plays it fine. the T.V. just makes the screen roll. this happened with the DVD player. it specifically said it supports PAL but when we tried a PAL movie the tv just produced the same grey scrolling effect

14. Loonylion

the PS2 CANNOT decode the colour information. Therefore there is no colour. getting a PAL compatible TV will not help, the PS2 uses NTSC.

15. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

there goes 10 pesos down the drain (that's somewhere ranging to about 25 cents in america)

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I thought that was what the tv was supposed to do...

With my time with my gamecube, a pal machine, I had some american games, used a freeloader...it worked...black and white.

Until I got a newer tv (60hz compatible) and then colour shown.

I have an Aussie ps3 ps2 (dam typos), and my nstc real copy of metal gear solid 3 shown up just fine, and so do the many downloaded nstc games.

I'd consider trying it and see, colour isn't everything after all....

Or does the colour issue only affect NSTC regioned consoles?

17. Loonylion

I believe PS3 doesnt use region coding because its HD, which is supposidly region agnostic.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Opps..sorry.

PS2 I meant to say.
    Post Merge: [time]1267212067[/time]
    Your right about the ps3 though, I knew this...

But still, my nstc games come up fine on my tv's, it's just a simple 19inch lcd right now, not even HD ready.

19. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

HAH! I KNEW IT WAS THIS DAMN T.V.! MY PS2 CAN PLAY PAL AFTER ALL!!!!!!!!

20. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

Is there any T.V. you could try and test it?
    Because you don't want to buy a new T.V. that ends up doesn't work with PAL games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.