1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Calling all Chinese Immigrants!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toffster92, Apr 8, 2011.

1. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

I have been assigned to do interviews for our Exile Ethnography project for College, and I was tasked to interview Chinese immigrants and record their opinions and feelings about leaving their homeland and their experiences living in another culture.

These are some of the questions I may ask during the course of the interview:

1. How long has it been since you left China?
    2. What was your reason for leaving the country?
    3. How did you acclimate yourself to the new culture and lifestyles? How long did it take?
    4. Do you still have friends and/or family back home? Do you keep in touch with them regularly?
    5. What is your definition and understanding of the word "exile"? Do you consider yourself an "exile" based on your description?
    6. If you were given the chance to go back to the past, would you rather have chosen to stay in your country or do you have no regrets moving to your new home?

If anybody is interested or willing to help me out, please PM me. All interviews will be kept confidential, unless stated so by the interviewee.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

immigrants into which country? Or do you mean chinese emigrants (i.e people who have left china for any other country)

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Assuming he means to the US. I don't imagine you finding many Chinese-Americans to actively respond on a gaming message board to your question though.

I don't know what college you are currently attending, but I remember my college had fairly large Chinese, Japanese, and Indian (India, not Native American) populations. You may want to approach people on your campus instead.

4. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

Preferably to the US, since I can somewhat relate to and understand their position, seeing as I'm an immigrant myself. However, since the project is about "exile" in general, any chinese immigrant to any country will do.

It was worth a shot though. Actually, I already have a few face-to-face interviewees lined up. I just wanted to get as large a sample size as possible so as to give an accurate description on how most Chinese emigrants feel and respond to cultural changes.