1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Buttons or Touch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doughboy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. doughboy

doughboy Guest

This discussion is not a "which console/gadget do you like best", it is based on this extra feature...
    So thechnology is advanceing every-day, we get new gadgets; ipod, ipodtouch (i this, i that :)), psp, 3DS, etc....
    My question is, are you more of a button man, or do you like to touch/tap?
    I personnaly like buttons more, as mentioned before.
    I do not hate apple or their products, but the feel of their products is diffrent than what im used to (touch or not).
    I really love new technology, but this, I don't like for some reason.
    I also stated somewhere else, that I am in fact willing to try new things out, (apple or not) which brings me to this:
    So, my friend recently gave me an iPod touch which I honestly did not like.
    I am a gamer, and the killer apps were not cutting it for me, so I jailbroke it.
    I installed Super Mario World, and I gotta tell you... the feel/exitement/fun was not great, I was disapointed.

I also recently got a DSi XL, and the games do in fact, work very well with the touch screen... it's cool.
    I am sure that in the future the PSP will be touch screen aswell, so I will have to move on eventually.
    (except my GC im sticking with that :D)
    edit:
    look at all the i's ::)

2. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I like the DS, where you have the option to use the touchscreen if you wanted.

3. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

i like buttons, for some reason, touch screen just doesnt feel right, becasue you are like touching buttons, but, not really touching them. i dont know if you understand

4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Buttons. I don't even remember where my DS stylus is anymore, and for phones I have an average nokia with no touch features, so I can't comment on that.

5. doughboy

doughboy Guest

off topic a little:I know the ipod touch is more music based, but apple is now trying to go further by adding extra features... 1 update at a time XD
    Post Merge: [time]1285803230[/time]
    I know exactly what you mean.

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Gaming works better with textile feed back, especially traditional games.

7. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I know that im leaning more on the gaming aspect, but i really don't like the products altogether.

8. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

I particulary prefer buttons than touch screen, I have an MP15 phone, it's touch screen, it got all dirty cause fingers.
    I goos and prefer my keyboard instead a touchscreen hardware, being a phone or a gaming product.

9. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I usually touch four to five buttons when I use my friends phone (droid I think).
    Either my fingers are too big, or the product is not for me after using it a few times, and having no success. :D

10. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

So wich product you find that fits for you?

11. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Well, I like some things about my new iPod touch...
    But I really like buttons, so I would have to say my PSP's.
    (and all my other consoles which have buttons i guess, and yes, my DS as well, ohh... need to add it to my sig :D)

12. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

off topic a little. hey, are you trying to do a record on most topics created in a certain time? :p
    on topic again, as i mentioned before, i hate touch screen. something i find really useful is the blackberry keyboard, since its alot a a regular keyboard, its easier to write. and ive used the iPhone, i like all the aplications and all, but i hate it that it is all touch screen, it makes typing hard

13. doughboy

doughboy Guest

why yes i am...no, im not...just curious to know what you guys think about a topic that comes into my mind.

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

offtopic, i think i may hold that record in the non-emulation help board ::)

ontopic.. i prefer buttons, turn out touch screen isn't for me -.-"

15. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

It all depends on the game or application. If the game requires location precision, such as DJ Max Technika, then touch screen will do. Otherwise, it is better to use tactile feedback with buttons.

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks for catching that, Suiseiseki.

16. doughboy

doughboy Guest

thats true.

17. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to use a stylus when it comes to a touch screen. My fingers aren't big by any means but it still feels clumsy. But yeah, buttons are superior.

Natalie I'm just gonna point out that textile feedback is when your clothing talks to you. The word is 'tactile'.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Oops, it must of caught on because Hypr used it too.

19. doughboy

doughboy Guest

noticed that too, but was too bored to look up the right word... :D

20. version3

version3 Is actually KappaMikey in the internet

I still don't see the charm of touch screens in gaming, sure it works on rhythm games and some RPGs. But generally, if I had the choice, I'd rather use the small face buttons on the DS rather than using the stylus on the touchscreen. I always enjoy the feeling of pressing buttons, since it I know that I'm actually pressing SOMETHING rather than pressing my hands on the screen.

Same with phones, the iPhone is all that, but I'd rather have a normal phone without the touchscreen, it doesn't turn into a smudgey piece of crap.