1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Brand New Flash Cart + Roms and homebrew = Non-responsive DS

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Shanlon2009, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanlon2009

Shanlon2009 New Member

Hello,
    I have been desperately trolling the internet tonight trying to fix my DS with no luck so I thought that I would seek some assistance here. The subject line is it in a nutshell. Here's my setup:

DS Phat (several years old I think)
    AceKard 2.1 (from ModChipCentral)
    AKAIO 1.5 firmware
    Kingston MicroSD 4GB (came bundled with the AK)

My friend was the first owner of the DS and had a slot-2 flash cart called XG2 Lite with some sort of GameBoy emulator and a ton of games, so I don't know if he modified it at all to run that.
    I received the AceKard 2.1 today and downloaded AKAIO 1.5 as well as several homebrew apps like RemoteTouch DS and Moonshell 2, which worked. I couldn't get RemoteTouch to connect to my router though, so I thought of downloading a rom of a commercial game to access the DS Wifi settings. So I downloaded Metroid Prime Hunters (alone) from nintendo-ds-roms.com Specifically, it is "0367 - Metroid Prime Hunters (U)(WRG).nds" I had to download the eMule open-source P2P client, which I had never heard of, to download the rom from them.
    I ran Metroid and immediately went to the Wifi Settings. I tinkered a bit but couldn't find or manually connect to my router. I backed out of the settings and was prompted by the game that it needed to shut down the system, which I did.
    The next time I tried to turn on the system, it would power on, meaning the green light would come on and I could hear the speakers pop, but there was nothing on the screens and no response. I have taken the battery out to reset it, but that didn't help.
    Additionally, when I ran Metroid the system was plugged into the wall because the battery light had gone red. The charger is from GameStop because my friend lost the original, but I'm pretty sure I've played it while it was plugged in before, so I don't think I blew the fuse or something like that. I let it charge for several hours and tried it again, but nothing changed.
    Anyway, I'm sorry for the rambling message, but I haven't been able to find my exact problem on Google, so I thought I should detail exactly what I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Shanlon

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Can you play original games(Catridge,not Flashcart)...?

3. Shanlon2009

Shanlon2009 New Member

Nope. I tried booting with a commercial cartridge in the slot-1 and also with both slots empty, but still nothing.

Additionally, when I put Metroid on the MicroSD, I also put two more homebrew apps, Nitrotracker and Pocketphysics, and a .dpg movie to try out. I didn't mess with them though and went straight to Metroid.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

This doesn't have anything to do with the game nor the flash cart...hjowever I have 2 therories...

-The batteries have suddenly died in your ds, replace them and see how it goes-ONLY USE OFFICIAL BATTERIES!

(Had bad experience with 3rd party stuff)

-Because you downloaded the rom via p2p...it's possible that it has viruses or simply is a dodgy rom that can wreck your ds.

HOWEVER there is 10% chance at that XD

So try changing the battery first, also have you tried the acekard on another ds?

...and stick to downloading roms from here :)

5. Fragata

Fragata Well-Known Member

Yes, i agree with hypnos, as normal xD. And do not apologize for the long op, it was actually very helpful, as we normally have to ask a series of questions over the first few days. Oh, and wecome to the forums, enjoy your stay, read the rules, and behave!

6. Shanlon2009

Shanlon2009 New Member

Thank you for the welcome and I will try to be on my best behavior :)

I don't have immediate access to another DS to test the AceKard but I will look into that.

The battery life has been good and it still charges, so a dead battery is doubtful, but still a possibility.

Yes, I will be more wary of where I download roms from in the future! The "other site" was at the top of Google's list and seemed legit. I don't have any experience here, though, and who knows with these things.

I was googling some more with different key words and came up with an interesting suggestion.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-176/ds_lite_turned_on_but_screens_are_blank_or_no_sound-813519/
    Have you ever heard of problems with the wifi hardware or motherboard connections? I might open it up tomorrow and look around. If there's a precedent, this would make sense, because I was attempting to use the DS Wifi for the first time and it crashed. However, that post is about a DS Lite and mine is an original/phat.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Never had that sort of trouble...

Wait a minute...nds-roms...I think that was a ligit site back before it got shut down...

I do advise testing the acekard and or ds battery when you can.

As for what the last thing you mentioned 9the acekard going straight thru to metroid) I'm guessing you got the self boot option where it automatically loads the last played rom...I'd say do a soft reset mid game and find that option...should be able to press start and find the option.

(acekard soft start-hold all buttons down even L and R and hold the d-pad 'down")

8. Shanlon2009

Shanlon2009 New Member

Hypnos, thanks very much for the suggestions. As for the passage of mine that you were referring to, what I meant was that I had copied several new things onto the MicroSD card, but when I booted, first into the DS homescreen, then into AKAIO, I ran Metroid first instead of messing with anything else. I went into the DS Wifi settings through Metroid but got prompted to shut down. The next time I tried to power on, the system was unresponsive, the way it is now. Unfortunately, fancy button combinations won't work at the moment :)

9. Fragata

Fragata Well-Known Member

I don't think the flash cart is the problem as it will not even switch on normally. The problem is probaly the battery, like hypnos said or a hardware problem which requires a repair/new ds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.