1. This forum is in read-only mode.

borat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by desi1368, Jul 5, 2009.

1. desi1368

desi1368 Active Member

what can u say ....

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Old?

I found it kinda stupid. And the fact that they are making an exact clone of it with Bruno is even more stupid.

3. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Borat was a bit old fashioned in the way it looked, it felt like it was being filmed in 1955 britain :D

Bruno looks more modern, controversial and funny. I can't wait to watch it.

4. TirithRR

Yet it is still:

"I am foreign man with funny accent, laugh at me!"

5. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

Those kind of movies are why the movies these days are so crappy

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I loved Borat, not for the stupid humor though. I enjoyed it because of the people's reactions and how naive the character is and doesn't realize he's pushing other people's buttons. Borat seemed to reveal people's racism and showed how ridiculously serious some people are.

Bruno's going to be good, but similar to Borat. It's going to be a little of the same but Bruno knows what he's doing, he's a dick, he wants to be controversial and it'll expose a lot of homophobia.

No, any movie with sequels are the reason why so many movies are so shitty. Borat has no influence on whether or not movies these days suck. Blame movies with sequels, mindless action films that have almost no meaning, child movies, poop jokes, modern parodies based off of movies (____ Movie, what happened to movies like Airplane?).

And there are so many modern classics being made, anything by Pixar is classic. A lot of famous movies now are only famous because they attract a large fanbase, either gained by a past franchise (Transformers, GI Joe, Pink Panther etc) or because there's a sequel. A lot of movies that should be modern classics are not because they don't have a large fanbase, ever heard of Boy in the Stripped Pyjama's? Did you watch Happy Go Lucky? Little Miss Sunshine? Young People Fucking? There are so many good movies that came out and not a lot of people watched or heard of them.

To say that you don't like a movie is fine, yeah, yup. But otherwise blaming one film is the result of most mainstream films sucking is a whole other different story, especially if that statement is false. Get your head out of nostalgia and actually go search out these great pictures that came or is coming out. Because now a days you actually have to search to find an amazing film.

In fact, Borat is one of the most original films that came out a while (maybe since Spinal Tap).

7. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

What I meant is that with movies like Borat, all the Movies series( scary movie, disaster movie, etc...), expectations for other movies are way more lower than before, when those kinds of movies (I think) didn't exist, they were real comedies, not cheap spoofs of other movies

8. omgtheweirdo

omgtheweirdo New Member

borat is special to people who watch THE SIMPSONS!

9. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

I neither loved nor hated borat, it was dull in places but i'd agree it was one of the more original films for a while.
    (you have to admit the fight scene was funny.)

I couldn't care less about bruno though, that was probally his least funny chararter.

I loved those movies, but there will be no more precisely because he was unique and he's lost his abilities now due to his age

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I know but Borat is better than any ____ Movie by tenfold. And is a lot better than a lot of sequel movies (c'mon Spiderman 3, Transformers 2, Ice Age 3, Indiana Jones etc).

I admit I love the Ali G Show so it's natural that I'd love the movie, I thought all the dull parts that many people didn't like, I liked them. I love Bruno, I don't know if as much people will like the character as much as Borat (Borat was likeable because he was so naive). Bruno on the otherhand is unlikeable, he's a huge dick.

Leslie Nielsen hasn't retired yet. He can still make movies. The day he dies will be the only time I cry a little bit over an actor.

And I mean movies that didn't directly spoof any movie, like Airplane had no direct reference and had original jokes and was sincerely funny, and so did Naked Gun. Along with any Mel Brooks film, Spy Hard and other movies the like. What happened to those? I don't want to watch a movie that's like 300 and only makes fun of celebrities. Like, who cares? These new spoof movies are more ridiculous, stupid, drag out for too long, have stupid run on jokes, and reuse jokes (look at any Mike Meyers movie after Austin Powers).

Maybe it's the lack of love that these movies get by studios, I know that they are often movie grabbers because they are on a small budget. Maybe it's the decline in great actors in the genre, I think Mel Brooks is done, Marty Feldman died so long ago, Leslie Nielsen doesn't have much to do. Who knows, all I know is that movies like Airplane! will never ever come back. :\

It's also a coincidence that a lot of the older spoof movies were a tribute to something, now it's just making fun of it.

11. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

yeah, but in his most recent roles i'd say he isn't as funny as he once was. (i'm just saying thats due to his age)

I remember seeing quite a few others he'd done like airplane and naked gun aswell, I wish I could remember them :(

12. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

fav quote from burno:
    "i have decided to adopt a african child and want to name him something african so i called him.....OJ"

13. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

If your going to quote someone, atleast spell their name right, and correctly say their quote.

I think it's more something like this, please don't quote me,

"I decided to adopt an African child and I gave him an original African name.......O.J"

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I know it's way, way off topic but in my language "Borat" means penis that's why when I saw the title I was all :eek: & thought someone was messing around on the forums.

15. TirithRR

That's good to know. Maybe that is why the movie creator chose the name "Borat"

16. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

It could be the OP language aswell...

17. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I love Sascha Baron Cohen's humour
    It's pretty clever and witty, he likes to highlight stereotypes and he is a comedy genius
    You just have to look at it with the right frame of mind

18. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

Ditto

19. TirithRR

I understand the satire. I just don't care for it.

And yet conversely, many people who enjoy these movies (not all mind you) don't understand the satire, and just laugh at stupid shit and think it's great. Much like the young kid who laughs during a movie any time they swear. Not understanding the joke, but "Oh, he said a bad word, that's funny!".

20. GlidingGoose

GlidingGoose Well-Known Member

Exact clone? Ur kidding!

But i have to say, i preffered Borat and Bruno when they were on the Ali G show...The origional Bruno and Borat!