1. This forum is in read-only mode.

boiling a stick?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lugia543, Jan 6, 2010.

1. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

i heard that boiling a stick makes it flexible. is it true? how long do i have to have it boiling until it bends? don't ask why, i'll just say it's for shooting down a bird

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...wtf?

A wooden stick getting flexable...I know it may get weaker but...

3. romthrone

romthrone New Member

I do not know if boiling a stick makes it flexible but I do know soaking a chicken bone in vinegar makes it flexible.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not boiling, steaming. And it doesnt get massively flexible.

5. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

What a random post lol.......

why do you want a flexy stick may i ask lol :)

6. MysticMaja

MysticMaja Well-Known Member

you sound suspicious :I

I don't know. But I do know that boiling plastic toothbrushes makes them flexible for a while.

7. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

it is a slow process and can just be done with water, you soak it and give it a little bend then soak then bend then soak. also puting a constant force against it as it dries to keep it's curve at least i think that's how you do it (made a small boat in school once and that was the process for banding the wood).

8. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

a shotgun would be suffice.

9. p4tman

p4tman Guest

i want a bendy stick now

10. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

ignore what i said i thought you wanted to bend it

if you want a bendy stick you need to just look for the right one, you just need high tensile strength so it can bend without breaking.
    if it's bendy it won't do the job you want it for

11. gx280

gx280 Guest

lol, A lovely random queston for the general. I think its steaming and loonylion said. But even that really doesnt make it flexible.

12. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Similar to how they make bent pieces of wood for nice door frames and furniture. Wood is a very porous material, like a sponge. Soaking it in water (even not heated) softens it. Take a form, soak a piece of wood in water for extended periods of time, clamp it in the form to bend it, and let it dry in its clamped, bent form, then when dry it will retain its shape. If you tried to bend it without it being wet, it would splinter and crack.

13. gx280

gx280 Guest

Sounds very complicated!