1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Blu-ray or HD-dvd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N3M351S, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

Which format is your favourite? + your reasons, I personally go for HD-DVD, simply because it's cheaper than Blu-ray.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

blu-ray, it has a much higher capacity than HD-DVD

3. N3M351S

Who will win the format wars??? I reckon HD-DVD

4. Loonylion

Bear in mind that HD-DVDs requirement that people upgrade to a HD compatable monitor, for what is essentially a form of copy protection, is not going to go down well with the average consumer. Especially not in countries where the price of electronic equipment already qualifies as 'rip-off'

5. N3M351S

ya, maybe so...but in the long run, i see only the HD-DVD becoming more popular due to its cheapness & its familiar name

6. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

The PS3 fans would probably say:

Blu-Ray for the win, the PS3 uses it, and it's the best! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

the hd dvd has very little capacity compared to the blu ray, but it's supported by many companies, so maybe it will win... i'd preffer blu ray, though...

8. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of HD-DVD Maybe its just me but it seems like the better choice.

9. nisbahmumtaz

nisbahmumtaz Well-Known Member

A FEW scars on a Blu-ray kills the whle thing.

HD-DVD can stand a quite a burden of scratches without losing quality.

There.Proven.Period.

10. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that can't be.. sony wouldn't do such a low blow...

11. Loonylion

yep, however a few scars would kill HD-DVD too, considering a scar damages both the protective layer and the data layer, while a scratch only damages the protective layer. Equally a lot of scratches will not hurt blu-ray.

12. swangtal

swangtal Member

I don't see why Blu-Ray is about to get more expensive. Most drives and players are getting cheaper all the time for both formats. If I have to pick one, I'd go with Blu-Ray, because I'd rather shell out a bit more for quality. I don't plan to burn stuff en-mass--I only backup stuff every now and then, and the bigger the storage, the less disc I have to carry around. Also, game prices aren't exactly different, when you really think about it. But personally, I'd go for anything dual format. They're both only as good as what's on the disc--and I don't think there's a good way to predict that.

13. AetherMaster

AetherMaster Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think DVDs have been aroung long enough. Who needs all this HD crap? I'm not one for changing styles :p I won't buy any of them until I absolutely have to (When DVDs are no longer for sale ;D)

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's true, while they are for sale, i don't see either me or my dad buying a blu ray or a hd dvd drive... after all, my ps2 only reads dvd... :p :D

15. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Blu-ray all the way...

16. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i'd only start buying blu rays if i had a ps3 and if it could be modified...

17. N3M351S

Can ps3 be modified? if it can i'll buy it

18. Andrew 1

Andrew 1 Member

blu-ray. go sony! :p

19. reaper110709

reaper110709 New Member

long answer:
    all the people who said hd dvd is better are wrong because blu ray is becoming much more commonly used and there are many inexpensive blu ray players such as the ps3(the new one). also, blu ray holds a lot more space, resulting in more content being stored on a disk and higher content quality. also i cannot see how stupid some people are to accidently scar a disk. the only way that this is possible is if the disk is firmly placed on a sharp object. a normal accident, such as dropping a disk or leaving it face down on a rough surface would merely scratch it.

short answer:
    Blu ray rules!

20. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really call the PS3 "inexpensive".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.