1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Blood/plasma/other donors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luk7nk4, May 7, 2009.

1. Luk7nk4

Luk7nk4 Well-Known Member

A former classmate and i signed for plasma donorship.
    It's the first time i'm doing something like this and i wanted to ask about how it feels to be a donor.

Do you have any experience or advice you could give me?

Oh and how can i calm my buddy? He's afraid of needles.

I'm grateful for any input :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm afraid of needles too. What you do is go in with your buddy (make sure you don't get done at the same time as him), and while he's having it done sit on his other side (not the side they're sticking the needle in) and talk to him, but make him look at you all the time, it's a lot easier if you can't see it being done, and talking about something he's very interested in will distract him.

3. Luk7nk4

Alright thanks, i'll do that :)

4. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

Yeah, those huge needles scare me as well. All, I can say is to relax.I've done this twice already and it worked for me. Also, you can make conversation with the doctors/nurses. That just makes the time you are there fly by.

5. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

tell him to stop being a pussy and be a man because he is saving lives, you don't see superman crying about being afraid of heights.

Be a hero

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Just as vertigo is a medical condition suffered by some people, so is a fear of needles. it's not a condition we can do something about.

7. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

Tell him to trust you and that he can't back out until he's in the chair, but after he gets his finger pricked for the blood test (they test before taking!) tell him it's the most painful part, mostly because it is. Being a blood donor is cool, and you get candy!
    :D

omfg.... Ima fatty!

8. jeebstheman

jeebstheman Member

It has been a few years since i've given plasma, but it's a pretty quick and relatively easy way to get some extra scracth if your plasma place gives you $ for your plasma - if you're not getting cash for it... then you're a better person than me!

I think the easiest thing you can do has already been mentioned if you/your friend are nervous about the needle - then sit by eachother, and talk to eachother while they put it in. From there it is relatively smooth sailing.

Usually it takes 30 min - 1 hour - depending on your blood - when the needle is in, and they tell you to keep your arm still.. KEEP YOUR ARM STILL!!!!!!! I'm not going to tell you what happens when it slips out of your vein - plasma is extremely helpful, and if you choose to donate it, kudos to you.

9. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Hey!
    Best thing is, show them a funny [but not hilarious] and interesting video on your phone or iPod, or maybe [if you're into portable gaming] show him how you got to level 80 or whatever, just distract him with something he's interested in.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I actually didn't overcome my fear of needles & I'm 30 :p

But I found a way to cope with it. What I do is to look away as they do me, uh bad choice of words there. Anyway, as I get the needle I look away & bite on my hand towel (I like to use hand towels than handkerchiefs) as hard as I can instead of whining & crying how painful the needle is/was. Strangely enough it also depends on the nurse's (usually nurses do these kinds of things) skill with the needle, there are those who do you who does it with minimal to no pain at all, but there are others who do it & the pain lingers on even after the needle has already been taken out.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I am terrified of needles :) Usually the trick is to distract yourself with something yeah. And equity, you made my day mate :)

12. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

This is only a theory cause i aint done it to myself. But if you transfer the pain of the needle to any part of the body, it decreases the pain. Like ask someone to pinch your other arm or your leg or a titty twister or something like that. Cause the pain is mostly in the mind. If you are hurt in other parts, the other lesser pain seems nothing compared to the bigger pain.

Example: If you prick your finger with a needle and you cut yourself with a knife, what hurts more, the needle or the knife?

13. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

not such a good idea

but i have heard of a part of you palm you can massage to easy the pain and calm you

14. jeebstheman

jeebstheman Member

Getting punched in the arm hurts more than getting a needle in the arm unless the person sticking you with the needle sucks at their job. Skinning a knee hurts more than getting a needle in the arm. If you ever go fishing out in the woods somewhere, those black fly bites hurt more than a needle to the arm.

15. Luk7nk4

We both survived! :)

We went there yesterday and my friend was scared as hell. After we ascended to the 5th floor he said: "Dude, i think i left my PC running" So i grabbed him and dragged him inside :D We then had to fill out a form with tons of questions, like: Have you ever taken drugs and stuff like that.

So we wated in the waiting room and tried to top the other one's joke :p After a while a girl came to sat down next to us and my buddy said: "Dude, are they gonna stick a needle into my arm?!" The girl went away as fast as she came :D

I asked the head doc if they could do us after one another (as per loony's advice), but unfortunately it wasn't possible so we communicated with sign language across the whole room :D

After we were finished, my buddy came up to me and said: "Next time, we'll donate a lung, yeah?" I said that we should donate both lungs. Even the nurses started laughing.

Even the payout was nice.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Good for you both lucky :)

Actually that works too, using humor to get by such an experience. Atleast you both know now that you could potentially help save another person's life in the future, or atleast provide a hungry vampire with his/her next meal, LOL! ;D

17. Luk7nk4

:)
    I prefer to feed vampiressess (spelling?) straight from the vein :D

18. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I've donated blood twice now and I fracking hate needles, I get real queasy. so needless to say i'm the highlight of their day when I come to donate damn near pass out, but I get all the OJ and snack cakes I want so it evens out. ;D

19. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I'm not old enough to donate blood yet (Without parental consent) But Needles.. I'm kind of used to them... My sister practices her nursing stuff on me...

Anyways, My advice is to try not to look at it. Looking at something that can slide into your skin, or something potentially dangerous is always like that.

20. Luk7nk4

I'm just dying to find out how my blood test is going to turn out.