1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Bitcoins Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eadelas25, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Eadelas25

Eadelas25 Well-Known Member

First off I just want to say that in my work as an accountant I've learned that money's value lies in the fact that people trust it. They trust that it has value backed by gold etc..

Now, I've recently finished checking the books for a certain foreign company and they offered to pay me in bitcoins or cash depending on which I prefer. Needless to say I opted for cash. I was intrigued though that a company had such faith in these bitcoins that they'd offer it as payment.

My question is; How reliable is it? Would it be a good alternative to cash? What companies would accept them as payment?

Obviously I find the idea of a type of currency not backed by a central bank a bit suspicious but I hear a lot of people use them as often as real money.

If anyone here on Romulation uses bitcoins please explain it to me.

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

That's not the case. People trust that they can exchange their currency for goods and services, not because it's backed by gold - which, by the way, it hasn't been since the 70s. See: fiat money.

Bitcoins are reliable enough, but unless you're looking to buy stuff on the black market, you'll most likely have to cash them in anyway.

3. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Is it the same with store credits?

4. halconcabron

halconcabron New Member

this bitcoin thing is really retarded they're so many free sites out there why would anyone pay this site is lame

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Go ahead.
    Name one site that offers any of the following:

- 250 kb/s speed for free users
    - Active and helpful forum
    - 98% of Nintendo DS ROMs

6. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

I fixed it.

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Whoops.
    Missed that one. I suppose littlekill can be added as well.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

because if they don't the site ceases to exist. It costs us hundreds of dollars a month to run this site. Suitable servers don't come cheap.