1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Biological Immortality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryandw, May 3, 2010.

1. ryandw

ryandw New Member

Found this quite interesting:

Turritopsis nutricula

Biological Immortality
    Most jellyfish species have a relatively fixed life span, which varies by species from hours to many months (long-lived mature jellyfish spawn every day or night (the time is also rather fixed and species-specific)). The medusa of Turritopsis nutricula is the only form known to have developed the ability to return to a polyp state, by a specific transformation process that requires the presence of certain cell types (tissue from both the jellyfish bell surface and the circulatory canal system). Careful laboratory experiments have revealed that all stages of the medusae, from newly-released to fully-mature individuals, can transform back into polyps. The transforming medusa is characterized first by deterioration of the bell and tentacles, with subsequent growth of a perisarc sheet (see hydroid) and stolons, and finally feeding polyps. Polyps further multiply by growing additional stolons, branches and then polyps, to form colonial hydroids. This ability to reverse the life cycle (in response to adverse conditions) is probably unique in the animal kingdom, and allows the jellyfish to bypass death, rendering Turritopsis nutricula potentially biologically immortal. Studies in the laboratory showed that 100% of specimens could revert to the polyp stage, but so far the process has not been observed in nature, in part because the process is quite rapid and field observations at the right moment in time are unlikely. In spite of this remarkable ability, most Turritopsis medusae are likely to fall victim to the general hazards of life as plankton, including being eaten by other animals, or succumbing to disease.

So pretty much whenever this jellyfish feels like it's in danger (lack of food, lots of predators etc), it finds a safe place, and reverts back to a baby. aand it can do this indefinitely. Fun fact of the day. :)

2. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

if only human can do this....so...

oh i fail to find a good paying job, *revert back to babies*

3. drteletubbie

drteletubbie Well-Known Member

puberty several times...

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That is quite interesting. :)

I'm just glad I'm not immortal...
    That would be an awful curse to have unless everyone were immortal as well.

5. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I'd like to be immortal. I wonder if clinical immortality will be developed before I die...

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm the exact opposite, I CAN'T EFFIN' WAIT TO DIE!

But hey, if we humans could do this, think of the many possibilities...

7. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Holy crap

The secret to immortality lie in the jellyfish

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Ever wondered why Spongebob loves Jellyfishing?

Now you know LOL!

9. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I just assumed he had a stinger fetish

10. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

LOL Remember the one ep where he tries to assimilate with the Jellyfish?

He doesn't have a stinger fetish. He wants to be a Jellyfish.

11. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

human longevity is based on telomere length. Stem cell research (which i firmly support) is only steps away from unlocking its full potential.

once the mysteries of telomeres are solved, cancer, aging, and death will have a cure.

no joke.

12. three_strangers

three_strangers Well-Known Member

I bet some freaks will try to genetically engineer this ability into humans. Like we aren't already overpopulated on Earth.