1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Biggest transfer flops

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jackblaze, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jackblaze

jackblaze Well-Known Member

To me I thin Ricardo quaresma
    Robbie keane
    and giovanni dos santos were three of the worst transfers this season since they were so good at the own club but not after moving.

List some of the players that you think have flopped

2. EDRICK88

EDRICK88 Well-Known Member

Danny Mills (Man city)
    Kieron Dyer (West Ham)
    Erik Nevland (Fulham)

3. jackblaze

dyer probably made the wrong choice but mills is just unfortunate

4. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Robbie Keane, I can't say he is a flop as of yet. Sure, he hasn't scored as many goals as he needs to but these things take time. Anyone remember Peter Crouch? He went months and months without scoring his first Liverpool goal and he ended up banging them in. Robbie needs time to settle with Rafa's tactics. He is already starting to play well and getting goals now and then so I refuse to say he is a flop. He contributes so much more than just goals. He makes clever runs and gives this upbeat tempo to the teams play. So it's too early to call him a flop.
    Dos Santos has been injured for a long time so that is the only reason he doesn't play.

The biggest flop has to be Drenthe who went to Real Madrid. Everyone expected so much yet he failed to deliver. I think Saha has been a flop too. I haven't seen him play regularly for Everton all season (unless he is injured and I don't know about it).

5. jackblaze

Ok i can agree with u about keane but why did dos santos leave Barca and he is so good with them

6. grimsim1

Well wouldn't you? I mean Barca have loads of great players. He was hardly getting a game there. They have Eto'o, Henry, Bojan to play up front. Obviously Dos Santos is the odd one out and he would never get a game. I'm sure Spurs were willing to pay him more too.

7. jackblaze

True again. but i want to know your take on the Quaresma move

8. grimsim1

I really like Quaresma as a footballer. He is really good. But I don't really follow Italian Serie A. I think its a pretty boring league, although I still catch up on scores and log standings. I haven't heard him make waves though, even in the Champions League so I agree with you, he has been a flop.

9. jackblaze

Boring but has some of the best teams and players

10. azmi_mumin

azmi_mumin Member

I have to agree with Keane (which was a flop, but I ain't saying he's the biggest), Rafa just doesn't start him often enough but the trend seems to be vanishing after that wonder strike against Arsenal.

Dos Santos wasn't a flop... He just isn't playing since he's been plagued by a long injury this season.

In my opinion, the biggest dud would have to be Jo of Manchester City... Great player, IF only he wasn't warming that precious sub-bench ever so often and actually stepping onto the field.

11. grimsim1

I really liked Jo but it is indeed sad to see he doesn't get a decent run out. Another player I really liked at the Euro, now playing for Bolton, is Smolarek. If only he got a chance to show he is quality. I guess you can say he is a flop because he hasn't impressed Megson enough to earn a starting place in the team.

12. jackblaze

some players just mess up a good thing by moving clubs

13. grimsim1

Probably the lure of big money and potential fame. They ruin their careers a lot of the time. Anyways, interesting topic jackblaze. What transfers do you think will happen now in January?

14. jackblaze

man city will sign anyone robinho wants to please him and also ATTEMPT to sign star players from around the world

I also think juande ramos will want will sign a couple of tottenham players
    Redknapp will buy some portsmouth players

But the big for will be fairly quiet exept arsenal

15. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Why would Ramos...
    a) buy players he didn't even sign in the first place. And
    b) players that got him sacked by playing so bloody useless

16. jackblaze

Because he knows they are good players and that they would want to go to real madrid but juande might also buy some players he liked in the EPL

17. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll go anywhere near Spurs...
    And if he does 'Arry won't sell

18. jackblaze

He already said he might bring lennon to real madrid

19. azmi_mumin

azmi_mumin Member

Speaking of Spurs, now that Defoe is back, would Bent be pushed down the pecking order OR would Pavlyuchenko bid us adios...? Not sure whether Campbell loan is going to be a permanent deal but anything goes if it's MU we're talking about...

Just look at Kieran Richardson and Giuseppe Rossi... Considered flops but are now prospering at Sunderland and Villareal respectively.

20. jackblaze

defoe is back but i think that harry will rotate them
    Right now Pavlo is looking to be in wonderful form so he will stick with him.
    And Cambell will come back to Man U dont worry