1. This forum is in read-only mode.

best ds games for 2/4 year olds

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by matthewpitman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. matthewpitman

matthewpitman New Member

Hi I've just bought DSI's for my Son (2) & Daughter (4) and am looking for games for them to play i know there probably wont be much for a 2year old but any help would be great

............... anybody ;D

2. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

*removed*

3. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

I guess a 2 & 4 year old would have more fun with "Toys".

[​IMG]

or raise em' up like that:

[​IMG]

Just my 2 Cents, sorry... >.<

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

there are lots of kid-friendly games for the ds!! i know because i get them for my brothes and sister.

Electroplankon, animal crossing wild world (if they can read...), dora saves the snow princess, other dora games, Nintendogs definitely!!, warioware touched (fast paced but my sister 6 LOVES to play in the toy section in the game, i Spy, go diego go, littlest pet shop games, barbie games, Tommo Interactive Storybook DS Series 1, paint by ds, and tons more that i could raddle off!!XD

are you using a flash cart or anything?

5. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Pokemon?
    Animal Crossing?

But, a kid shouldn't play a game at the early age. :)

6. matthewpitman

matthewpitman New Member

thanks for the quick replies i know 2/4 your old should prob not be playing games but lets just say the Mrs is to soft on them my daughter wants one because the cousin got one and you cant get one without getting the other etc etc etc ;) but there seams to be some good games to help them along the way teaching them how to spell etc but saying all that.......

I'll prob be playing them more then them ;D

sorry new to all this what is a flash cart my brothers in the know with all this stuff and I've ordered some m3i cards to download the games if that's what you mean thanks for the suggestions so far....

p.s. they got to many toys as it is already had to get rid of my dining table and turn the dining room into a play room ::)

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

yep! that's what a flash cart is!

8. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

ehem...barbie and mario games?

9. Sox

Sox Member

I remember letting my 3 year old cousin play my ds, he threw it on the ground, picked it up and threw it back on the ground. He repeated this several times while i tried to stop him. RIP Ulfrom...

Anyway! Nintendogs... Dora...
    But can 2 year olds even hold the ds properly?

10. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

I don't think you should let your 2 year old boy play a DSi. Wait until he's older.

11. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree with johnx, no offence to your kid, but he will probably break it (he's only 2!!!) get him a teddy or something and let your daughter have the DSi. Then when he's older, he can play it too!

12. baozor

baozor Well-Known Member

wouldnt 2 year olds just mash keys? o.o

13. personally i agree with the others, i think the 2 year old is probably a little bit too young just yet to understand the concept of playing, but i think there are definately a few games out there for the 4 year old.

my husband has just bought ad DS for my 4 and a half year daughter and my 6 and a half year old son for Xmas, so i have been searching around myself the last couple of days for 'preschool age' appropriate games.... here are a few i have found that i think might possibly be suitable for the younger kids, and possibly not require much reading.

- Crayola Treasure Adventures - colouring in pages and puzzles etc
    - do a search for Dora.... there are 3 different games that i know of which i don't think require reading
    - Go Diego Go.... safari rescue and dinasaur rescue... from what i have seen of these games diego actually talks child through the playing of game
    - Postman Pat
    - Peppa Pig
    - Backyardigans
    - Wonder Pets
    - Miss Spiders Harvest Time Hop and Fly

I haven't tested any of these yet, as my kids aren't getting their DS's til Xmas, so i can't vouch for the content or quality of games, but at least it is a place for you to start.... good luck!

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Kids shouldn't be playing until at least 7...and even when at that age, it might have permanent effects.

I am a game addict, (seriously) I can't be away from a screen with user input for 2 hours unless I'm ethier active or...looking at forums, hence why i am here.

Enough about me...I'd wait until 9-10 so they at least take an interest in real life subjects like riding a bike...why give them a dummy when it's not needed?

And all of these games are too hard for the ages listed...POKEMON!

WTH!

THEY CAN'T READ YET!

15. Abbafan1972

Abbafan1972 Well-Known Member

My youngest didn't have her DS until her 5th Birthday and she is quite grown up for her age.

I personally think age 2 is too young to have one.

But anyway, games like Dora, Peppa Pig might be ok.

16. Lomaha

Lomaha Well-Known Member

My son is 4 and has used a ds since he was 3½. He likes Cars Mater National (beats everyone else in the family), SimAnimals, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Battles, Lego Starwars, Bob The Builder, Rorri the racing Car, Postman Pat and so on. He also likes Petz and Nintendogz. My daugter got her ds when she got 6 and she could easily have startet long before that.

17. funfile

funfile Member

Hi Matthew: I'm assuming you are using a flashcart since you are posting in romulation, eh? ;-) My young kids like "World of Sand" (homebrew app) that you could download to your flashcart.

Another commercial app that they could relate to is "Build a Bear".

My 2 cents.

18. flhardromer09

flhardromer09 Member

Probably chucking the DS on the ground, jks. Probably just like Go Diego Go! or Dora the Explorer??

19. obishawn

obishawn Member

A DSi would be enormous for a 2-year-old's hands! Better take some precautions for that thing falling on the ground.
    But that's besides the point. A suggestion that hasn't been mentioned yet, Wheres Waldo DS.
    I used to love the books when I was a youngster.

20. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

What? I've been playing video games since I was 2 and I still had a normal childhood; went outside to play, had toys, etc. And I'm 24 now. Gaming is great for kids, especially if their parents and/or family motivate them to get further. It gives them an early exposure to the feeling of accomplishment and encourages them to practice at something. Hand-eye coordination and critical thinking (aka problem solving) are also built upon. Needless to say, playing video games is quite beneficial.

That said, I have a 4 year old nephew. He loves the Mario games, Mario Kart, Mega Man (though it's too hard for him), Sonic, and Planet Puzzle League. If your daughter's ready, try to get her into Planet Puzzle League. It's a basic puzzle game where you have to match 3 colored blocks horizontally or vertically. This will help her quick-thinking, and since it's controlled with the stylus it'll also build the fine motor skills she'll need to start writing. I recommend you give it a whirl first, so you can better understand it and help her with playing.

A few people have mentioned Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Zelda and the like. Have you guys forgotten that those games have a lot of text? Without an adult around to guide them through the game, they won't have a clue where to go or what to do. That's why kids need games that have very little text involved.