1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Before buying the new DSI XL

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by amokogikoma, Mar 17, 2010.

1. amokogikoma

amokogikoma Member

What size micro sd card would I need for the r4i bootchip. I can choose between 1 gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8 gb or 16 gb. I´m gonna put around 25 or so games on the card. games like supermario, zelda, nintendogs etc. ? there is a really big price difference between lets say 2 or the 16 gb. here en the DK a 2 gb card cost 10 us dollars. an 8 gb card costs around a hundred usd...
    And does anyone know how these nintendos is for playing a movie. I´m thinking long holiday drives with kids in the back. if I can put a movie or two on the card it would be great. but can the dsi xl do that at all and if so what size card would i need if I still nhad the games menchioned above on the card ?
    thanks

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Any micro sd card (the technical name) is fine, I'd get a 8gb only because I'd fill it quickly :p

A 4gb is easily enough though.

Movies are another matter, the size could vary and the quality is rather...crap, but if you want to persist there is moonshell, I think there might be a guide about it in the tutorials section....

Personally a portable dvd player on battery charge and some downloaded movies on dvd's (I could suggest a program for making them with menu's and such) could be a much better choice than converting normal movies to a ds format.
    Post Merge: [time]1268818582[/time]
    Also, if you haven't the r4i yet, I'd suggest the acekard 2.i, more updated and less headaches, if you already have it then no need to worry, a few people who have those have managed to get a good run out of it, just needs extra work with more recent games.

3. Otterbane

Otterbane Member

I think I have the 4gig, it was only $30 (AUD) since I got it at a computer swap meet.
    But basically, don't spend hundreds of dollars on an R4, you can get it for a LOT cheaper if you try. A couple of gigs will hold a LOT of games, so you don't need to worry overly much. I think one large game, eg. Pokemon is about... 64kb? Or mb, I forget, whichever one is bigger. kb.
    Yeah, but it's worth it, no matter what you get!

EDIT: Movies... Movies are quite large, the screen is really small as well, if you want movies to watch, do you have an iPod? Even with that small screen, it'd probably be better quality. DS' aren't weren't made to process regular movies, the only exception I know is that some Pokemon episodes were made onto a GBA cart I think and sold for some exorbitant amount.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

MB you mean, not kb, kb is tiny :p

5. amokogikoma

amokogikoma Member

ok thanks a lot guys. but as for the screen goes the new dsi xl had a rather large screen. but again, youre rigth, a portable dvd player for the car would be better. its more the games i worrie about. ill try and see if i can get an acecard 2i, with the 2 or 4 gb cards !
    thanks a million. guess u just saved me a lot of bucks !