1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Battery life

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Jun 12, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

I just recently bought an acekard, and I'm noticing something VERY annoying.

My DS will last about 6-8 hours playing offline on the highest brightness level when playing real games, but it will only last maybe 3 hours offline on the SECOND brightest setting when using the Acekard. The DS is fully charged in both instances. Basically, I can't take the acekard with me on trips or anything, because it will crap out on me way too quickly.

Is it normal for acekards to burn through the battery really fast? I did a few searches and didn't find anything related.

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Which Acekard did you buy? The Acekard2i shouldn't be having these issues if that is what you have. If it continues to have issues, you may have a defective cart and will probably want to contact the seller.

3. archlvt

Yes it's the 2i.

I'll try turning down the brightness some, and maybe the volume. I've been playing it louder than usual. I'm wondering if it's just alll in my head and maybe it only SEEMED like it used to last longer because I wouldn't play it for that many hours straight like I am now.

4. LuckyTrouble77

If you can, time your total time played with the Acekard in on your average settings. If it really is an issue, do what I told you above.

5. archlvt

On an offtopic note, is there any way to return to the archive of games without powering off and on? As far as I know, soft resets just start the current game over, which doesn't help me. It'd be nice if I could switch games without having to power off.

6. LuckyTrouble77

There isn't any way that I know of. There is technically an in-game reset that goes back to the SD card menu, but it doesn't work well on anything. I would ignore it.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Go to settings and change the Soft-Reset to On.

Then when in game, press and hold, A+B+L+R+Down.

My AK2i doesn't drain my XL's battery at all like that...

8. archlvt

Beautiful, thanks. It seems to be lasting a lot longer on the second lowest brightness. I only gave it a few minutes of charge when the light went red, and it's been going strong for almost 2 hours without going red again. I dunno, maybe some games are just more battery intensive. Luminous arc 2 has a lot of voicework, and ragnarok is pretty graphic intensive. Who knows.

I think I was probably just over-analyzing. I was kinda predicting something to go wrong with this, I ALWAYS have to fight with things to make them work right, and it's weird that this just showed up in the mail and worked flawlessly for dirt cheap.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

It should last longer with the lower light settings.

Mine does for sure, but I have the XL and it's battery can last up to 14+ hours if you play it on the lowest setting.

10. archlvt

I know it lasts longer with a dimmer light, but I didn't know it would be to that degree. And this soft reset is going to make this SO much more enjoyable. It bugged me a lot before, especially since I only just got this and loaded 20 games onto it, so I can't sit still with just one, haha.

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Glad it came in handy!

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

screen backlight is the worst thing for a battery, whether its a laptop, PDA, mobile phone or ds. wifi is pretty bad too.

13. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

Playing on really low brightness at first can be a huge pain in the butt, but play for a few hours and you won't even realize it.
    I Used to play on 4/5, but now i play on 2/5 and i like it just as good once i got used to it.
    And yeah about Soft Reset, i remember not having that when i used to use my R4Revolution and then when i upgraded to Cyclo, it was such a little thing that really made the whole gaming experience better. That's one reason i like Cyclo so much, they do tons of little things that just improves everything about the experience of using a flash cart, and they do them really well. Only thing i really wish i could get out of my DS that i cant so far really is playing Flash games and watching .SWF movies without altering the file type. (Moonshell might could watch the movies, i don't think so though and i don't even have it installed anymore)

14. lil_azn_a55a5in

lil_azn_a55a5in Well-Known Member

flashcards tend to last a little bit shorter.

15. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

But the R4 has soft reset...

16. Abbafan1972

Abbafan1972 Well-Known Member

I always keep my brightness down, only have the volume turned up if I need it and I also turn the wireless off if I'm not using it.

17. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. I Remember that now... no idea why i blacked out and thought it didn't for some reason.
    I Do remember it being a much less powerful feature in the R4 because of the added Cyclo options, maybe that's why it never meant as much to me.

18. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

True, the R4 does lack the Cyclo's cool in game menu (for all it's cool features like slow-motion and RTS). Anyway, I'll stop being off topic now.