1. This forum is in read-only mode.

automating the trim method

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by seventhsage, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

Currently when I download a game from the site, i save everything to a single folder, called sort. on the desktop (along with all my other files) My mom and brother each got an r4 recently, because i got mine and showed them. Since they want me to download all the games they want, it's getting really tedious unpacking, trimming, and backing up each rom individually. I currently have a batch file that uses winrar's command line to extract the files, and then moves them to another folder for temporary storage while I swap microsd cards in and out for each different r4. I am trying to get a batch file command that I can incorporate into a single batch file that will extract, move, trim, and backup the rom for me... anyone know if this is even possible? This is what my batch file contains so far. (it also cleans up after itself)

I use dslazy to trim the rom, if anyone knows a way to make this work in batch (more than one file at a time, let me know.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

depends if dslazy has a commandline, but you'd probably have to do a loop through all the files in the folder and trim each file one at a time within the loop.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

NDSTool (backend of DSLazy) by DarkFader (starter of DS homebrew support) is command line operated. You may be able to do it within that, with the trimming etc. functions from NDSTool itself. You could consider emailing DarkFader for some of the specific commands you can use to operate those functions.

4. seventhsage

ok, i'll give ndstool a try... I know you can go into the dslazy folder and make a shortcut to the trim.exe file, then you can drag and drop onto it, but when you're doing that to twenty or thirty files a day, that can get tedious in itself. Thanks for the help, and if i get anything working right, i'll post it here so others can use it. I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants this to work..

-jason

5. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Download this from Team Cyclops http://www.cyclopsds.com/downloads/EvoTools-1.0-BETA2.zip

Included is an auto ROM trimmer, simply set the path to where your ROMs are and it will trim them all automaticaly, as this is simply a trimmer it does not require you to own a Cyclods card. The included cheat database editor is probably not compatible with your flash card. The tool pack also lets you display ROM icons on your PC :)

You may need to restart your PC for the trimmer to take effect. Enjoy.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Ah, now that's definitely helpful :p Thank you.

7. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

It's not command line based but theres a trimmer that trims compressed roms (dunno if it unpacks them) backs up the files and batch trims as well as more functions, it's GUI though.

I beleive its called NDSTokyoTrim

8. seventhsage

any idea if i can call this from the command line, or from within a batch file? If so, we are golden... I'll give it a shot, but sometimes syntax can be a bitch. I'll let you know how it goes

edit: I like this, it works well, but i'd prefer something I could call from the command line, so it doesn't trim roms unless i want it to. I'm trying to automate this process as much as possible, but occasionally, a rom needs a patch, which almost always requires it to be untrimmed. I like this, but i'll keep checking around, seeing if i can do something that's not as automatic.

Edit 2: Tokyo trim works wonders, i'll use it. I can always call the .exe in the batch file and then close it when i'm done. I like the backup option too. Ndslazy makes you re-name it everytime it trims, which can be a pain in the ass. i think this program's what i need. Props to the creator. Download here:

http://techsuki.net/downloads/NDSTokyoTrim.exe

no install required, just run the file

9. seventhsage

sorry for the double post, but it's been a while and I want to bump this as there's a new problem... Tokyotrim can automatically remove the rom id number from it... but does anyone know if it can also remove the region and rom information as well... so that something like

1111 - Rom_name_(U)_(Xenophobia).nds becomes just

Rom name.nds

without having to individually rename every one of them. Again tokyotrim can remove the id numbers from it, but I'd like to remove the region code as well, preferably in a batch file

any help appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.