1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Australia fires

Discussion in 'General News' started by cjdogger, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Well... I'm surprised this isn't around on the front news page, lots of people have died recently because of fires...
    It is suspected that these fires were started by a person and many have died or lost valuable possesions...

Just one link:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/sue-carroll/2009/02/10/real-tragedy-of-australian-fires-put-our-worries-into-perspective-115875-21111170/

Yeah I know the Mirror is corrupted but this won't be influenced by propaganda really so it's an okay resource...

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Only some of the fires are thought to be arson.

3. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I don't know the full story but damn it must be very dry for fires to spread like they've been doing... I hope it stops soon :-\

4. Loonylion

worst drought in decades I believe.

5. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Yeah I do believe i saw that in the BBC news. Its terrible for those living in Australia and plus all the wild life would of died as well. Most people are on about how people died and that's really terrible however people should think about the wildlife as well.

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

They think the death toll will rise over 200 (last I heard). Aussie usually has large bush fires but not to the extent of this year.

7. ultra

ultra Guest

they should seek help for that! :p ;D

california usually have forest fires during the summer due to drought, lightning or man made fires. but typically we don't really know the severity of it as i live in nyc and we don't get those details of injury from the news. but we do know that many people lost their homes and possessions.

8. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Oooof! my Aussie bros.... they are dying.
    Yes, thats true..

9. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

What kind of sick person would commit arson like that? That a big fire that covers a huge tract of land and properties. Isnt there a way to stop a fire like that with cloud seeding or any some artificial rain?

I feel sorry for those affected and hope that the people affected will recover soon

10. Loonylion

I imagine they're doing everything possible, but once one of those fires takes hold its extremely hard to put out. When I worked as a ranger we were more afraid of grass/bushfires than the animals.

11. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Yeah... I hope the animals are okay...

12. damanali

I heard from the news that there was a kuala bear or some sort of animal that luckily survive the fire, is that true? they should pamper that animal. Its a lucky animal and a symbol of hope.

13. Loonylion

yes, although a lot of animals survived

14. damanali

Oh, sorry for just mentioning one. I just heard that from the news. Well, its good thing that many animals survived that fire.

15. AcroneSF

AcroneSF Well-Known Member

This is very sad for me as my grandparents were killed in these fires and a friend of mine has lost everything. I myself am an Australian and i cant do anything accept feel sorry for them. Please! If you live in Australia Please Donate To the red cross foundation or a local business thats fundraising. We have reached over 40 Mil in donations which will help dearly. Blood donations have also increased by 150%.

JUST IN!
    I heard on the news this morning it was started by a family of american tourists that left their camp fire alight instead of dousing it (putting it out) But police are saying it was an arson and will soon be releasing photos.

So if you can please donate even if its just a few dollars every cent counts!

Yours sicerely
    An Australian Citizen

16. Loonylion

If that is true then they have learned a very unpleasant lesson.

17. 88stumpy88

88stumpy88 Active Member

Im an aussie and have family in Victoria that we have not heard from. it has killed 181 people so far that we know of but is expected to rise in the next few days as police search the ashes and remains of houses. we have raised 70mil so far but it is no where near enough. people are living in tents with nothing but the clothes on there back. It is estimated that over one million animal lives are lost but are expecting more because the ones that survived have no place to live nothing to eat or drink. Police have found 2 men that have been looting houses in the area and took them in for questioning but it turns out they have nothing to do with the fires.

18. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Apparently my Math's teacher's (both Aussie) best friend was one of them.

19. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Sounds like an advertisement feeding off of people's pity than an actual appeal

20. Loonylion

someone has been charged with arson and murder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.