1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Aust win first test agaisnt rsa

Discussion in 'Sports' started by geffo, Mar 2, 2009.

1. geffo

geffo Active Member

JOHANNESBURG, March 2 (Reuters) - Fiery fast bowling from Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle led Australia to a 162-run win over South Africa on the fifth and final day of the first test on Monday.

The home team, chasing an improbable victory target of 454, were bowled out for 291 as Johnson (4-112) and Siddle (3-46) put Australia 1-0 up in a three-match series that will determine which of the two teams tops the world rankings.

Man of the match Johnson, who also snapped up four wickets in the first innings and scored 96 not out with the bat, said he started the day wearily.

"I felt a bit flat this morning and the legs were heavy but seeing how Siddle and (Ben) Hilfenhaus bowled really encouraged me," the tall left-armer told reporters.

"It's right up there with my best test. We'll celebrate tonight but then it's time to look forward to the next test (in Durban starting on Friday)."

South Africa began the day on 178 for two but lost batsmen at regular intervals after Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis batted through the first hour to extend their partnership to 76.

HALF-CENTURY

Amla fell for 57 when he hit paceman Siddle to Phillip Hughes at mid-wicket.

First-innings centurion AB de Villiers was next to go, trapped leg before for three by Andrew McDonald.

Kallis went for 45 in the third over with the second new ball, playing a ball from Johnson on to his stumps.

JP Duminy and Mark Boucher held Australia up with a stand of 39 for the sixth wicket before the former was removed for 29, edging Siddle high to Ricky Ponting at second slip.

Hughes took another catch at mid-wicket to dismiss Morne Morkel for two off Johnson.

Boucher followed for 24 just before tea, bowled through the gate by Hilfenhaus.

Siddle dismissed Paul Harris for eight after the interval and Johnson wrapped things up by bowling Dale Steyn for six.

Hilfenhaus also finished with two for 68.

"Patience and persistence were the keys, patience is very important on a pitch like that," said Johnson.

"The bowlers started to click as a unit when we won (the recent third and final test against South Africa) in Sydney and we're a tight-knit group. I'm very excited about this group."

What a top effort by the aussies lads peter siddle was got the most heat for all his little short balls at styn what a classic game of cricket the wicket had juice and there was a lot in it for the bowelrs classic game for a start of a wonder test to come