1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ATCA fears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deathbreak911, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone. I've been gone a while, and chances are no one will remember me (and with such a low post count, I don't blame them!)

Well, I came back to the site a few days ago after seeing Dragon Quest 9 at Best Buy. I just had to try it before shelling out the money for a new game. Of course, when I got to the ROMs section, I found that the best site had shut down it's NDS roms, a decision that I respect, especially after seeing GTA Chinatown Wars have more downloads than sales.

But I digress, that isn't what is important. I've learned (a few days ago) about ATCA. It started with a phonecall I got at 4 in the morning. "Dude," my cousin said. "Thepiratecity.org is f***ing gone!"
    Well, I'd never used thepiratecity.org. But I encourage you to visit it now. Moderators, before calling me out as spam, please visit it as well.

See something? Not your typical torrent site, is it? That's right, it's gone. A lot of sites are gone now, and although I have no numbers to confirm it, I assume the numbers are growing. I wonder if this new problem is what helped spark the NDS rom's being taken off of this site, but since I don't know when that happened I can't make an assumption.

As a long time pirate, I've always enjoyed the 'perks' of pirating. Even though most games I've bought (a lot thanks to the recent steam sale, I must confess), I still have the benefits of early releases, easier single player cheats, the ability to get games without leaving the house (only applicable for console pirating, as almost all PC games can be bought offline), but most importantly, pirating allowed my to play games without DRM. DRM is part of another rant I love to go on about, along with Net Neutrality. I'll save that for another time. But the point is, even with games I've purchased, I'd still go download the exact same game, or a crack made for playing the illegal copies, and use it so I could play my games in peace.

So, naturally, this is terrifying to me. Why? BULLET POINT TIME
    • You can be arrested or denied internet access after three ACCUSATIONS of copyright infringement. It dosen't have to be proven, and all access denial is strictly enforced.
    • Police can literally come inside your house and seize your computer.
    • Personally, and I might be over reacting, but I liken this to the PATRIOT act, except a LOT more people are affected by this. By a lot, I mean everyone with a computer hooked up to the internet.

Anyway, I just thought I'd leave this here. I'll be back in the morning when I wake (it's 3:30 here! Gosh!). I miss this forum... and have missed this forum for a while. And, of course, I'm sorry for leaving for so long (life actually got in the way...). But... When seeing this RomU was the first site I thought of.

Have a good day everyone ^_^ Try not to let that ruin it for you.

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The ATCA was not what caused the NDS Section to be closed, it was seph's own decision to do so as the ESA was once again breathing down his neck.

And thepiratebay has always been shutdown on many occasions like that because of countless files being hosted on there via torrent trackers. I'm pretty sure give a week or more & they will be back, because that's how they roll.

EDIT: Addendum:

You know it amazes me that anti-piracy agencies keep on hitting on the piratebay when demonoid is just as badass as TPB is LOL!

3. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

ATCA or ACTA?

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I thought it was ACTA

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

See here for a discussion of ACTA: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=44496.0

6. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Seph, in my extreme tiredness I misspelled it when searching for a similar thread.

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Just gonna put this out there. He wasn't talking about piratebay, he was talking about a different one. TPB is still very much intact.